Do I need to upgrade from 5DII to 5DIII?

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
Ok, 'want' more than 'need'...

What's the III going to offer me over my II? I'm weighing up my options...

I shoot mostly non moving object - portraits, still life etc... no sports. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Beth

Hi Beth - that's the question I'm struggling with at the moment and I've decided that I probably do need to upgrade. However, the only thing that's making me feel like I need to upgrade is better low light performance (still adequate on the MK2 but obviously not as good as the MK3) and I'd benefit from more focus points, rather than having to focus and recompose on the fly which often leads to missed focus at shallow DOF. Oh, and dual cards, that'd also be nice.

Do you reckon the addition of any of those things would have a positive impact on your studio work Beth? Maybe not.

Slightly better colour depth
Slightly better dynamic range
100% viewfinder vs. 98% viewfinder
More focus points
Better low light capabilities

Given that you predominantly shoot in a controlled environment e.g. studio then i doubt you will see much difference though.

Do you plan on changing your shooting environment at any point?

Caveat ... I'm a Nikon user ...

I have used both the 5D mkII & MkIII in terms of images they produce there is little to choose from ime/o. The MkIII has a better AF system and slightly more pixels, the former may be of use, the latter not so much. For static subjects I doubt you'd get the full benefit of the AF system.

Maybe wait and save for the rumoured MkIV ?

Last edited:
Hi Beth - that's the question I'm struggling with at the moment and I've decided that I probably do need to upgrade. However, the only thing that's making me feel like I need to upgrade is better low light performance (still adequate on the MK2 but obviously not as good as the MK3) and I'd benefit from more focus points, rather than having to focus and recompose on the fly which often leads to missed focus at shallow DOF. Oh, and dual cards, that'd also be nice.

Do you reckon the addition of any of those things would have a positive impact on your studio work Beth? Maybe not.
Ah! Dual cards, forgot about that! Can shoot to SD... little less expensive I think to source. Forgot about the more focus points - I focus, recompose as well, and yes, that can be a problem when shooting shallow. Really good points...
I'm struggling - I really don't think these things would have much of an impact, but it just seems a natural progression. I'm trying to justify making it a need. :)
Thanks for the input Danny.

Slightly better colour depth
Slightly better dynamic range
100% viewfinder vs. 98% viewfinder
More focus points
Better low light capabilities

Given that you predominantly shoot in a controlled environment e.g. studio then i doubt you will see much difference though.

Do you plan on changing your shooting environment at any point?
Cheers Stuart... not likely, usually if not always controlled lighting. Not a wedding's person, so low light isn't an issue for me.. and when I am shooting low light on the rare occasions, I can manage workarounds, which probably doesn't justify the upgrade. Thanks for your input. Much much appreciated.

Caveat ... I'm a Nikon user ...

I have used both the 5D mkII & MkII in terms of images they produce there is little to choose from ime/o. The MkIII has a better AF system and slightly more pixels, the former may be of use, the latter not so much. For static subjects I doubt you'd get the full benefit of the AF system.

Maybe wait and save for the rumoured MkIV ?

Thanks Paul, much appreciated. There's a theme going to these responses... :)

Ah! Dual cards, forgot about that! Can shoot to SD... little less expensive I think to source. Forgot about the more focus points - I focus, recompose as well, and yes, that can be a problem when shooting shallow. Really good points...
I'm struggling - I really don't think these things would have much of an impact, but it just seems a natural progression. I'm trying to justify making it a need. :)
Thanks for the input Danny.

Oops - sorry for adding more reasons to lust after the MK3 :)

Seriously though, if you think it'll help you progress your work or work more efficiently there's no reason why you shouldn't make the leap.

You'd pull in minimum £600 for your MK2 and you can get a MK3 from the forum for around £1200......therefore £600 for a MK3 doesn't sound too bad does it? :)

What about a 6D, that body was also a natural progression point from the 5D2 and its a well regarded body here on TP.
I shot on the 6D at work... I didn't actually fancy it to be honest - as silly as it sounds, I didn't like the feel of it in my hands, and the less buttons to work with. Although granted, it is a great camera.

Only two things that might actually make the difference between getting the shot, and not, are faster frame rate and much better AF, particularly servo-tracking. High ISO performance is improved.

These things basically make the 5D3 a much better sports/action camera and a very capable all-rounder.

The only way to stop GAS (and even then, only for a short while!) is to give in to it from time to time! If you want to upgrade and can afford to upgrade, why not upgrade?

Of course, a 5Div will be along soon... :p

Only two things that might actually make the difference between getting the shot, and not, are faster frame rate and much better AF, particularly servo-tracking. High ISO performance is improved.

These things basically make the 5D3 a much better sports/action camera and a very capable all-rounder.
Keep talking... you're convincing me... :)

The only way to stop GAS (and even then, only for a short while!) is to give in to it from time to time! If you want to upgrade and can afford to upgrade, why not upgrade?

Of course, a 5Div will be along soon... :p
Does anyone know when that's coming out? That could work to my advantage of the price drop of a second hand III, but then it's going to lower the value of my II even more I would have thought...?

Sounds silly, but I don't like the feel of it in my hands... don't like where the buttons are, feels plasticy to me. I've shot with it at work before... not keen, although nothing wrong with image quality.

Does anyone know when that's coming out? That could work to my advantage of the price drop of a second hand III, but then it's going to lower the value of my II even more I would have thought...?

Absolutely no idea! My comment was tongue in cheek (hence the :p) but also true - "If it's in stock, it's obsolete."

The obvious answer to you dilemma is to write down any areas where your current body is (in your eyes/opinion) lacking, then (and only then) looking at the potential replacement's specifications/features to see if it addresses those areas of lack.

Beth, I honestly don't see much point for the work you do. It's almost all low ISO in controlled conditions. What you really need is a 5Ds... ;)

Or a D8?0... ;)

Straight answer:

Yes.

I don't believe it'll help you personally though, I don't think any of the advantages fill a void in your kind of work, but you might benefit a little from the better AF system.

The 5DII is getting on a bit too, so maybe worth getting the III in case something goes wrong if the II is your only camera?

The smart money on the 5D iv seems to be on a release in the spring in time for the Olympics. The smart money isn't necessarily all that smart but that's the reasoning so wait a month and if nothing happens go for it, although the option to upgrade for £600 sounds like a deal as well.

The smart money on the 5D iv seems to be on a release in the spring in time for the Olympics. The smart money isn't necessarily all that smart but that's the reasoning so wait a month and if nothing happens go for it, although the option to upgrade for £600 sounds like a deal as well.
The 1dxII is the olympics camera, the smart money for any release would be September

Dual cards, no real benefit, the SD cards slow the fire rate, only benefit it offers is immediate in camera backup, or post shoot in camera copying in a field environment if you can't backup to a laptop straight away.

The biggest improvement in the 5D3 compared to the 5D2 is the auto focus, it is far better. If that's something that would be of benefit to you then i'd upgrade.

Nope.

Controlled subjects in controlled light = basically no difference in your finished product.

I went from mark I to mark III because I shoot people running around in the dark. If you're not shooting stuff like that, I don't think you need the mark III.

Anyway, the 5DIII just turned four years old (that went quickly!) the other week. Wait for the next one.

I'd agree with this, if you need an upgrade now the only area the 6D is "behind" the 5D3 is autofocus - unless you *need* better AF then the 6D is better in other respects such as ISO performance and AF in low light. I shoot wildlife even with my 6D so I don't feel it's bad at all, but if I was seriously into wildlife or sports I'd have gone for the 5D3.

Then again, as others have said, I'd wait for the 5D4 now unless you need the improved features from the 5D3.

If I had money to burn and a decent enough body I'd always buy more glass, something interesting that I don't have. Body upgrades are like buying new cars, instant depreciation that still do basically what you did before.

Back