Do mobile speed cameras work at night

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Mobile speed cameras in the back of vans or (do they still have these?) hand held ones .. Obviously the static ones in yellow boxes work at night ..I just dont recall seeing mobile ones in the dark ? So am wondering if they are useless in bad light ?

yes yes i know.. stick to speed limits and it doesnt matter .... just wondering thats all :)

One would assume that if one was parked up on the side of the road at night, then they probably work.

agreed? eerm ?

so have you seen one? I havent hence why asking :)

I’m sur I saw an article recently about a Force that had just upgraded their mobile vans so that they had the capability to also work at night, so that in mind I’d guess most do not work at night, but that is going to change in the coming years

I’m sur I saw an article recently about a Force that had just upgraded their mobile vans so that they had the capability to also work at night, so that in mind I’d guess most do not work at night, but that is going to change in the coming years

Yes i am guessing if they dont work now then they will be updated.. technology and all that :)

probably but are they not mainly manned by 9-5 civvies?
if so I imagine they don't like working at night.

Traffic police? What are they? I must admit, some would be nice. They may catch some of the idiot drivers around here instead of just preying on a few that exceed the speed limit by a couple of mph.
do you mean the speed limit by a couple of mph, or the exceeding the extra bit they often allow you over the limit?
their are anti camera van vids on youtube that suggest they are manned by civvies

do you mean the speed limit by a couple of mph, or the exceeding the extra bit they often allow you over the limit?
their are anti camera van vids on youtube that suggest they are manned by civvies

All of our vans are run by a private company and they are the only type of traffic enforcement you see around here.

The problem is you never see the idiot overtaking on a blind bend or summit get pulled over. We have an old railway bridge here on a bend and it narrows. Weekly there are half a dozen accidents because idiots ignore all the traffic signs and drive through way to fast and before they know it, they are implanted into an oncoming car or smashing through the hedge into the farmers field. It's a well know bridge around here, but never a traffic cop in sight. Not even the men in vans bother with it because it's on a bend so not worth their while.

I saw a camera van yesterday about 5.15 on the A977 sitting on the grass verge so I assume they do work in the dark.

Why wouldn't they work at night? Doppler's effect works equally well with and without ambient light

Why wouldn't they work at night? Doppler's effect works equally well with and without ambient light

Yeah but they need to be able to see who is breaking the law, the radar speed element of the van will work in day or night however the camera aspect needs to also be able to record the registration of the offender, I suspect this is where camera technology is not reaching a position where it can still work in dark conditions

If you want to know techically - then yes they do and very well, unfortunately :D
If you're asking about staffing and are they out at night, then usually not as a lot are staffed by civvy staff now, unless they are there for a specific event, such as an evening car meet etc. Police do use hand held cameras.

If you go to Bristol you might encounter one or two even in the dark, typically in a place you'd expect to catch 1mph speeders (the most dangerous and most profitable breed) off guard. I've not seen any of the pest vans elsewhere at night.

Back