Do not use these types of suet ball feeders! (May upset some)

Hopefully the suppliers can be made aware :(

the with the ones in net, birds can get caught in them too

Last edited:
Oh, nasty! I use the coated square mesh wire type I bought from Slimbridge, which has been up for several winters now and causes no problems. All my feeders came either through WWT or RSPB, so they weren't cheap but they are reputable. Sadly some manufacturers/buyers just want cheap and cheerful, and not always safe.

Poor little bird. I use the netless ones in a normal cylinder fat ball feeder.

I can always tell when my feeder is empty as the birds make a particular tweeting noise. It sounds a bit agitated and irritated that they've come all this way and there's nothing to eat. I have one feeder hung up outside and one full and ready to go in the porch so they can be swapped over easily.

Not a nice way to go. I've shared. I don't use that type, just the one with the wire mesh.

Poor little bird. I use the netless ones in a normal cylinder fat ball feeder.

I can always tell when my feeder is empty as the birds make a particular tweeting noise. It sounds a bit agitated and irritated that they've come all this way and there's nothing to eat. I have one feeder hung up outside and one full and ready to go in the porch so they can be swapped over easily.
Even worse, there are actually two birds in there.

A sad photo. I've not used those type of feeders or the fat balls in the mesh bags even though I have never seen an incidence of a bird getting caught, I'm not keen on them and the birds don't seem to like the fat balls.

I've used the square fat cakes in the wire mesh feeders, though I often just press the fat cakes into half coconut shells and hang those up.

Dave

I stopped feeding them a while ago, when I saw a big fat rat pulling the frame toward himself and having a rare old feed.

Back