Do places like Jessops etc develop B&W film?

Name
Jessica
Edit My Images
Yes
I really want to be able to shoot in B&W again (I did some at a college course a couple of years back) but I'm not sure if I can get films developed anywhere. I'm thinking of getting a scanner so that would solve the problem of not being able to develop the negs into images. I'm sure most places used to develop B&W a few years back but I have no idea if places still do this. Also if places do develop the film is it expensive?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did do a search but nothing came up:(

If you are concerned about processing then perhaps you should consider using one of the chromogenic black and white films such as Ilford XP2 super since these are processed using the same C41 process as colour print film. You can then scan the negs yourself.

Processing "traditional" black and white film is so cheap and easy to do yourself that I have no idea who would do it for you but I have no doubt that it would cost enough that only a few rolls would pay for the modest outlay for the equipment.

I'll look into the cost of equitment/chems to do it myself. It would be nice to do it again, I don't know why I didn't think of it. I don't have the space or facilities to develop photos but developing film isn't going to take up any space/or scary costs.

Also the Jessops website is now cooperating and I can see that they do develop B&W for £3.49 (negs only). 5-10 days though, and I'm impatient so the DIY route seems the way forward:)

What format do you want to develop ?

Jessops aren't really a choice for development, afaik they send everything out, so you won't get anything the same day.
Places like Boots and click can do same day, but only C41 (colour neg) and E6 (slide), and only 35mm, like Nicos says, shoot a 35mm b/w film suitable for processing in C41 chemicals, and you can get same day developing, can't vouch for the quality though.
Only labs do 120, I dunno how many of those do b/w, but its far too easy a job, to pay someone else to do it...(y)

Boots can send them off ;) (or used to be able too atleast - when i worked there 4 months ago?)

Just 35mm. I'm watching a few patterson tanks on ebay :)

I have no idea what chemicals I need though...When I went to college they bought it in bulk so when I saw it, it was in blank vessels. Not the foggiest what it was. I'm going to google it all in a bit.

If its a B&W film that uses the C41 colour processing method then any high street lab or mail order lab can do it. If its the traditional b&w film such as FP4 or HP5 then you can buy the kit very cheaply and DIY

What was the price? I'll prob be getting a film or 2 developed before I get all the stuff for the DIY approach.

As mentioned c-41 are developed in the lab there and then. and prices range from 4.99 (3-day) to 6.99 (1 hour) depending on sizes etc.
and other films are sent off.. they take 2 weeks to develop, deliveries are sent off on tuesdays (or atleast in the branch i worked at) and for a 36 film its roughtly £10.

Hope this helps! :)

Edit:
Forgot to mention those prices are for 6x4 prints

Peak imaging do a really good job of D&P but they're not at the cheap end. Use them for important stuff.

I do my own mono stuff - it's a doddle, but it's getting hard to find the chemicals on the high street anymore :(

Beware of the C41 mono film - it's not very contrasty so you might not get the 'look' you expect.

Jessica Try,

Advanced Photo
25 Dalton street
Manchester
M2 6FW
Tel 0161 839 8838

They offer prints
Med. format 120
E6 slide + mounting service
Black & white
Contact print
Photo CD
DVD photo

1 hour film and digital processing service

Dave

That's excellent. I was advised to go to that shop for something else but I couldn't remember the address and couldn't find it on yell.com

I'm happy now :)

If you're going to go down the DIY route then I highly recommend Nova Darkroom. I have recently bought a beginner film kit (consisting of a tank, thermometer, measuring jugs etc) and chemicals from there. The chemicals I bought were the Ilford Ilfosol 3 developer, Ilford Rapid Fixer and Ilford Ilfostop Stop Bath. It cost around £50 all together but it will work out cheaper in the long run! I also recommend the book Into Your Darkroom Step By Step by Dennis P Curtin. Hope this helps :)

Thank you for the links, i'll check those out. I completely forgot about a thermometer...so long since I developed film!

Hi

I too have decided to muck about with B/W and did a search for dev+printing labs. This one is reasonably priced

http://www.club35.co.uk/120.html ( Mods, please delete if inappropriate). There are some other sites I found; but they are rather expensive. If you happen to use Club 35, could you let us know how the results were.

I would like to try development myself; but I was wondering how to print them. I guess one way would be to scan them in; and them print them digitally.

But that would mean I have to get a scanner which is capable of scanning 120; and then learn to digitally manipulate the results before printing. For me, thats a bridge too far for now.

Regards

Ujjwal

All,

I am looking to get half a dozen 35 mm colour rolls developed every month and have found club35 to offer a good deal ...

Can anyone point to a better deal/shop or feed back on club 35 ..

I am in west london and am not in a hurry to get the rolls developed..but needs to be value for money..

cheers

Ajex

Snappy Snaps in Leeds processes black & white by hand, on-site and offer a 3 hour, 24 hour or 48 hour service. Medium format and 35mm can be printed on-site up to 12x18" with the option of a CD as well.

We also cross-process E-6.

Snappy Snaps in Leeds processes black & white by hand, on-site and offer a 3 hour, 24 hour or 48 hour service. Medium format and 35mm can be printed on-site up to 12x18" with the option of a CD as well.

We also cross-process E-6.

Same for Snappy Snaps around London.

There are still plenty of labs that will process B&W on site.

Steve Smith mentioned 'proper black & white paper'. I had an (ex- ?)employee of Chromagene in the shop a couple of days ago asking if we used 'proper black & white paper'. I told her we didn't but that it didn't matter. She got on her high horse a bit and insisted she knew what she was talking about and that it most certainly did matter.

With that, I popped to a drawer and pulled out a set of photographs taken on Ilford FP4, processed by hand by us and printed on Kodak Royal COLOUR paper.

She was gobsmacked at the quality of the prints. Black blacks, white whites and excellent tones all the way through. She's now a convert.

I agree that if you go to many high street labs, when you ask for black & white, black & white isn't what you get!

Where we differ is that we care what comes out of the machine so we calibrate it properly before we print a black and white photograph and we ensure the chemistry is at its optimum.

Richard

I didn't even know there was a snappy snaps in Leeds, do they sell 120 film cheaper than Jessops *invites more spammery* :LOL:

Back