Do spiders work together?

Peter B

Double Numpty
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I happened to notice what looked like the bigger spider about to attack the smaller one, but it turned out they were working together to spin their web. I've no idea whether this is common or not, but it's got me intrigued!

DSCF0683-copy-tp.jpg

DSCF0685-copy-tp.jpg

DSCF0686-copy-tp.jpg

I think you've captured courtship, the smaller is the male and has visited the females web :)

Nice images too (y)
Was going to say, it's likely mating as the males are smaller in most species of arachnid.

Great shots though! You'll notice the males will often do a rhythmic tap-tap-tapparoo to gauge interest before approaching.

Was going to say, it's likely mating as the males are smaller in most species of arachnid.

Great shots though! You'll notice the males will often do a rhythmic tap-tap-tapparoo to gauge interest before approaching.
Thanks Adam. The photos were actually taken through a double glazed door, so I was just lucky that they turned out well.

Thanks Adam. The photos were actually taken through a double glazed door, so I was just lucky that they turned out well.
That makes them all the more impressive. Depth of field is a nightmare on this kind of shot and you've nailed it. I'm constantly taking photos of beasts and bugs so I can say from experience how hard it can be.

Back