Beginner Do Waterproof Camera Covers work in the real world ?

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, for the nth time I have got caught out by a sudden rain and the evitable scrabble for my camera bag and rain cover, never easy with a 600 zoom lens and a tripod !
I am very tempted by the many waterproof camera and lens covers, especially ones that facilitate tripods. I like the idea of my gear being protected BUT do they actually work in the real world.
I would appreciate any advice and experience the group mind can offer !

Usually I don’t bother in light rain. If it’s pouring down then the best solutions I’ve found are big umbrella or use a plastic bag with a hole cut at the end for the lens and secured in place with rubber bands.

I would normally stop photographing in heavy rain. Light rain is OK for my EOS 5D4 which is weather resistant. However, my recent ML camera purchase will have to be kept dry. In the past I have taken some photographs in the rain when using a tripod but holding an umbrella. If you are a regular wildlife photographer, it is inevitable that you will be caught in rain sometime. I am not a regular wildlife photographer so tend to choose suitable weather.

Dave

I've used rain covers to good effect. Optech worked for my smaller zooms e.g. 70-200, for my 500 f4 I used one similar to this:-

I've used these for years in the rain with no issue at all. Basically a glorified plastic bag with a draw string at one end and a little hole for the viewfinder. Been used at several very wet race meetings, out in it all day with a non-weather sealed camera and lens. Fits my 120-400mm zoom with room to spare, I think they'd be tight on a 600mm zoom but for 8 quid it's worth a go.

Last edited:
Rainsleves are a great help. but even then it is best to work from under some sort of cover as much as you can.
Water, especially in windy conditions finds it way in everywhere. There are very few truly Waterproof Cameras or lenses.
Often they are little better than non waterproof cameras when it comes to a real soaking.

Very few cameras get into difficulty in a light shower, if protected as much as you can.
I have even used bellows cameras in a light shower, Took some time in an airing cupboard top dry out afterwards though.
Mostly I avoid the wet.

Thankyou for all your input, I don't really go out in the rain more like getting caught out in the rain, I have decided 'gramps' suggestion meets my needs and they are easily available via fleabay.
I intend to keep it in my leg pocket just in case and hoping that just like a brolly, if you take one out it never rains !!!!!

I quite like photographing wildlife in the rain and will purposely go out when it’s pouring down. I’d never use the camera without a rain cover as you wear a rain jacket when out why wouldn’t you try to protect the camera if it’s really pouring. For years I used the optech rain sleeves. They fitted the 200-400 f4 I had quite well (I’m now using a smaller 100-400). I used to operate the camera from outside the rain sleeves. It made turning dials difficult and would result in small holes in the plastic. I’d either cut a small hole for the tripod foot or clamp both the foot and rain cover in the tripod head clamp. Turning the lens is difficult if set up this way.

I’ve since replaced the optech sleeves with the Thinktank Emergency rain covers (have a small and medium. My main reason was the optech rain sleeves aren’t really durable. I was buying a couple of packs a year. I didn’t like the plastic waste with using so many a year. The thinktank rain covers are easier to use than the optech rain sleeves which can be a handful to put on.

One thing I would say put a non gloved hand inside the rain cover will cause condensation inside the rain cover and gets the camera wet. I get around this issue by wearing gloves.

The think tank emergency rain sleeves are available in small, medium and large. They cost £26-49.

Last edited:
Back