do we have any domestic

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Plumbers on here?

I've recently had to change the ball valve in the cold water storage tank, the new valve was a different design.....no biggy, i swapped it over and job was a good un.

The new valve is however much noiser than the old one with a significant roar as the water fills the tank.

Looking around for a valve of the correct design to the one I had originally brings reference to a water bylaw section 30.

I can't find out what that is though, or what the difference between a part 1 (the one i have now) and a part 2 (the design i replaced)

Anyone ?

you all still awake?

:help:

And I thought you were looking for a new member of your YMCA tribute group......

I have no idea mate, hopefully someone does, is it not roaring because its filling the tank quicker than the old one though? Just a thought from someone who doesn't know a stop cock from a valve

The old valve didn't allow water to enter the storage cistern directly, it had a small pipe situated on top of the valve body. A sort of up and over design.

the new valve does and i think it is indeed noisy because of the volume of water it allows to flow,as the outlet is much bigger than the old one.

Not really the way i'd like to go.

If the difference between the right and wrong valve is going to dump a couple of thousand gallons of water through the ceiling I want to get it sorted.

I've found vague references to high and low pressure ball valves, with the images showing the type of valve i have installed being low pressure. :cautious: This is something I can't quite figure as the design of the valve applied more force to the valve seat if the force acting on the float increases.

If I remeber correctly
High pressure valves are for running directly of the mains
low pressure are for feeding water into the cistern via a water ( header) tank
Get it wrong and the jobs a B'stard
HTH?

AFAIK the two types are for different mains pressures. There will probably be a conical insert which may be smaller on this one than on the one you had before, leading to higher velocity and more noise. Perhaps! :)

I'm not sure if they're approved for all types of header tanks, but Torbeck valves are completely silent - highly recommended!

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/120.asp

cheer for the replies.

Thanks for the link Silky....(y)......theres that part 1 and part 2 stuff again :runaway:

This valve is at the end of the house rising main in the loft, so higher pressure than would be found in the toilet cistern.

I think the part 1 type valve i have now delivers the water at a greater rate than the part 2 type it replaced

If the difference between the right and wrong valve is going to dump a couple of thousand gallons of water through the ceiling I want to get it sorted.

That's one of the reasons we changed to a combi boiler - no more water tanks in the loft to go wrong and spill the contents of Anglia Water all over my house while I'm out at work......

cheer for the replies.

Thanks for the link Silky....(y)......theres that part 1 and part 2 stuff again :runaway:

Ah, yes, right, well.... maybe it isn't to do with pressures after all! The Part 1 type are piston valves. Part 2 are diaphragm valves. ;)

With some types you can have a plastic tube between the valve outlet and somewhere near the base of the tank, so the discharge is below the water level to reduce noise. The tube has to be thin-walled and collapsible so you don't get back-siphonage.

The Torbecks come with spiral inserts for different mains pressures.

Back