Do you ever get dejected with your work?

Edit My Images
Yes
Feeling low about my photgraphy ability over the last few days. I realise that evidently my style and processing is not that common but I have a fairly abstract eye and mind. Been that way since I was small and probably all part of the depression that has blighted me since I was a kid :crying:

However, do you ever feel that your work or stuff you do is never as good as what you intended or indeed as good as the next person along or the next poster.

Not looking for a pick me up just wondered what others feel and think.

Diego.

All the time Diego ... all the time ...:crying:

Especially when you see the quality of posts, galleries etc., you get on here ... yours included I have to say ... :)

However, I am resigned to improve my stuff ... and feel happy when I post something that I have put up the best I can do ... instead of knowing it is not as good as it could/should be ... :shrug:

Par for the course really ... everyone has highs and lows m8 ... but with your skill, talent and eye for a photo I would be made up ... (y)

All the time mate but ya gotta just keep plugging away. If you are happy with what you do, then at the end of the day that's all that matters and as someone said in another thread....If other people like it then it's a bonus.

yep, particularly when it comes to the motox stuff. I look at some of the really well established guys and just groan :(

Same with people, I'm not good at it and hence don't like it. Your stuff is so simple but strong and effective and I just wonder why I don't/can't see it :shrug:

Venomator said:
All the time Diego ... all the time ...:crying:

Especially when you see the quality of posts, galleries etc., you get on here ... yours included I have to say ... :)

However, I am resigned to improve my stuff ... and feel happy when I post something that I have put up the best I can do ... instead of knowing it is not as good as it could/should be ... :shrug:

Par for the course really ... everyone has highs and lows m8 ... but with your skill, talent and eye for a job I would be made up ... (y)

Thanks. I read an article a while back on the merits of any given creative passion such as snapping, painting, making music etal and it said that the only people who truly understand the medium are the ones who partake in it, hence why we all come here. I apprecaite your kind words.:)

Of course the digital medium has made it far eaiser for people to share and comment which both good and bad I suppose.

Thanks for the reply.

Diego.

KenCo1964 said:
All the time mate but ya gotta just keep plugging away. If you are happy with what you do, then at the end of the day that's all that matters and as someone said in another thread....If other people like it then it's a bonus.

Good point. Thanks. :)

dod said:
yep, particularly when it comes to the motox stuff. I look at some of the really well established guys and just groan :(

Same with people, I'm not good at it and hence don't like it. Your stuff is so simple but strong and effective and I just wonder why I don't/can't see it :shrug:

There is a classic example as to me, your motox stuff is fabulous. :)

I also think that DSLR can confuse us in that sometimes we expect every shot to be a masterpiece and end up binning 99 shots and keeping that one killer picture.

Sometimes I only ever go out or shoot with my Canon a75 and it can be refreshing - just taking snaps.

Yeah I dunno why I bother most of the time

Oh yeah, it's because I enjoy it

I think your feelings are quite normal.

I've been busy building my shed but I think some of the high quality macros I've seen recently have been a contributing factor in me not taking time off to go chasing bugs :) . Only a temporary thing though.....I'll be back :D

I always feel that my work can be improved and bettered. There are some fab shots posted on here and I always feel a little wary posting any of my stuff on here as I know it's not as good as others'. On the other hand, alot of the stuff I see on here really inspires me and makes want to go out and shoot stuff (with a camera, not a gun :p).

When I went off to Camden, I had your work in mind, and I thought 'Diego can chat to people and take their photo... so can I'. And I did :)

i would agree with the others, i think your work is very good, far better than anything that i manage to produce, i dont show much stuff as i dont think any of it is much good! We are here to learn though and take inspiration, enthusiasm and knowledge from each other, so i plug on, hoping that one day i will take a picture that has universal appeal and is snapped up for millions of pounds!

I go through phases where I just can't be bothered with it all then when I've had a rest, I seem to get creative bursts.

There's always better and there's always worse but that's not what it's all about.

I had a play with my old Powershot A95 the other week and it was like a breath of fresh air!

Looking at your shots I can't see how you could get dissolutioned.

We all have our off days maybe weeks or months.
The thing to do is identify were you think you are going wrong, and fix it (one step at a time).

As for image post quality, everyone started somewhere, and I think we've all improved.

Anyone who says they are happy with every shot they take is either a fibber or a person who takes pictures in the dark without a flash.

I find myself in this quandry every time I pick my camera at the moment :(

I don't think I've ever been entirely happy with any shot I've ever taken, in fact I know I haven't. It's a never-ending quest.. one you're never going to win, but that's the challenge.. and the fascination. ;)

As you can see Deigo you not alone with those feelings.

I go out for hours trying to get a decent landscape shot but so far all I have got is the dissapointed feeling:(

One day though one day:)

I identify totally with where you're coming from on this. I go through phases of feeling like I'm never going to get where I want to be, and I think at those points my photography probably suffers as a result. Then something happens to bring me back again and I'm full of enthusiasm for it! I've come to the conclusion that it's probably something we all just have to work through from time to time, and all we can do is to keep doing the best work we can, pushing our personal boundaries and trying new ideas.

It's tough being your own harshest critic. But if you were convinced that evrything you did was fantastic it would

a) make you an irritatingly arrogant (_*_)

b) stop you from progresing. If every shot is the dogs danglies, what reason is there to push yourself or try new stuff?

Everybody has off days. Just look at Rooney ;)

I have really enjoyed seeing your 'people' shots, your processing really brings out the character and matches the words that you write that explain the person....

I am arty by nature and have often felt upset by my work being dismissed because of this, not here I hasten to add but at my camera club where I thought 'I'll show 'em' but I couldn't, people seem to want normal photography and see photos that are post processed in an artistic fashion to be something to criticise, I do tame my processing for fear of too many negative comments to save my sanity so I guess I do understand your feelings. Us artists are such sensitive souls, what we have to remember is that we are in charge of our feelings, we choose to be miserable or happy, you don't have to be sad, easy to say, I suffer from depression. Admittedly not to such depths as I understand you suffer, but enough to realise how desperate you must feel at times. Stay happy, your work is yours and is also an inspiration to me. I admire your ability to chat to your subjects, now THAT is a real skill...

Marianne said:
I have really enjoyed seeing your 'people' shots, your processing really brings out the character and matches the words that you write that explain the person....

I am arty by nature and have often felt upset by my work being dismissed because of this, not here I hasten to add but at my camera club where I thought 'I'll show 'em' but I couldn't, people seem to want normal photography and see photos that are post processed in an artistic fashion to be something to criticise, I do tame my processing for fear of too many negative comments to save my sanity so I guess I do understand your feelings. Us artists are such sensitive souls, what we have to remember is that we are in charge of our feelings, we choose to be miserable or happy, you don't have to be sad, easy to say, I suffer from depression. Admittedly not to such depths as I understand you suffer, but enough to realise how desperate you must feel at times. Stay happy, your work is yours and is also an inspiration to me. I admire your ability to chat to your subjects, now THAT is a real skill...

Thanks Marianne. Thats a great summary. I too think that my frustration may stem from the exact thing you cite in that some people and not the folks here I add, simply dont get what I shoot nor attempt to.

It is very frustrating when I have stuff printed off and people dont really even look at it or even 'see' it - if that makes sense.

Still, as others have said its about being satisified yourself which is a good thing.

Thanks,

Diego.

It's never ever a bad thing to question yourself, you should constantly ask questions of yourself. That road will lead to better work

I good photographer should be constantly asking question of themselves and the world around them, because that is where the answers lie

Obvious signs of ps work for me at least detracts from photographs and rarely come across as anything other then gimmicky-at least to me. I'm a purist in that regard, a photograph is its own art if done right, there's no need to guild lilies. Sometimes people try to make an uninteresting shot more interesting. But as Bresson once said, if it's not there it's not there

You have a love for shooting people, i do myself. There is a hole world of them out there so you have an endless chance to progress

Assuming you haven't already, the greatest thing of benefit to you would be studying books of people you admire, forget how to books ect.

Look at the work of
Bresson :The man the image and the world.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/bresson.shtml

Eugene smith: Dream street http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/we-smith.shtml

Bruce Davidson: East 100th street http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/F...rtfolio_DocThumb&V=CDocT&E=2K7O3RP0468&DT=ALB

I have those three books and much more, i think those artists suite your style. I think seeing such work, holding it, touching it, absorbing yourself in it will give you a constant source of inspiration

But they were human, and they worked harder then most and questioned themselves constantly

So you're in good company there

when you stop questioningyourself and pushing yourself you should quit!

im always dejected about my work, but im very self critical. but i find that helps, because you never reach that pinicle, your always climbing the learning slope and pushing yourself further.........

I am very critical of my pictures, I have only started taking pictures in the last few months and have only really used the camera seriously "in public" a few times, they being primarily Silverstone F1 and Biggin Hill. Now between those 2 events i took some 1200 pictures and probably have 12 to 20 that I like and 2 to 4 that I am pleased with.

My point is that if i sit and look through all the pictures you can easily get dejected at all the missed shots etc but when you see one that makes you smile it's all worth it. If you go out for the day to take pictures and think that the majority will be winners then you are crazy, you are setting yourself up for disappointment before you have started.

That one picture for me makes the day worthwhile and even if no-one else ever sees it I don't care. For me it's an achievement just to have used the camera properly and created that shot, yes there may be people who could have taken it better and yes it may not be "perfect" but it's damn good and i took it.

Your work is superb and it doesn't matter if it isn't everyone's cup of tea, there is nothing you can do about that. If you are happy with the picture and it makes you smile then that is all that matters.

In life there will always be people better than you and people worse than you in everything you do. Be glad you have such a great ability and such a unique way of looking at life.

dod said:

I'd go with that....Can get some really good Supermoto racing pics but my people are poo!

And when you have thousands of photos on your web site and no buys them :crying:

Carl.

I think everyone here, or at least they should, admits that they can take decent photographs. why reduce your self worth? at the same time you'd be a fool to say every shot you took was fantastically perfect in every way. ask any honest photorgapher and I think they'd never be 100% happy with a picture they took, maybe very close but never totally. Photography is (if you'll excuse the pun) about developing your talents the way you want them to, no one else can see what your eyes do and as such photography can become a powerful outlet for whats going on in your mind.
now, that can seem a little deep but if you think about it it really isn't; its just the way it is. I notice some here are passionate about motor sports, others wildlife...we all have our interests and photographing them is just one such outlet for expressing them. some even actively participate in activities (i.e. sports), and can offer those outside with little knowledge of it, a fascinating window into an otherwise unknown world, take the example of national geographic; ok so its right up there at the top but its probably the best example of seeing pars of this world we'd otherwise never have heard of or seen, so as photographers we can all appreciate another's work when we know the efforts involved. At least for me I have been more and more in awe of some of the photographers I've seen images from, not just your Adamses and such but people as you'd find right here on this and other fora. I often sit back and go 'wow - wish I could do that!'
and for a moment I might feel like, well, poo - but then I realise there's nothing stopping me but myself from making equally great images, no? if you don't get it straight away so what?! when you were knee high to a grasshopper and trying to walk did you give up cause you fell over the first time?... you'll get there, and everyone will be there to see it and applaud.
You choose an abstract slant then so be it. If at times you start to question what you're doing and how you're doing it then perhaps its jut your brain taking another turn in its course of developing your skills? try something slightly different and see how it turns out...it might give you that boost you need to sit back and say 'yup, I'm happy with that' again.
Personally I often feel uncertain about many images - lots also hit the can! - but then I don't let it get to me and do manage to post some pics I think reach the 'ok' status, I'm pleasently surprised when lots of others voice their thoughts and some might even like it which I consider a real boost in confidence and make me want to do more. we're all afraid of seeming egotistical, I don't think the majority of us are but sometimes being too far the other way can harm the creativity we have...just be proud of your work and take criticism and complements kindly

The book i gave you the link to by Eugene smith (Dream street) He took seventeen thousand shots for that book (film), Bruce Davidson worked for 4 years on his central park project, Bresson shot 2 rolls of film before breakfast every day

Nothing good ever comes easy, they made it look easy, but never was never is

I sometimes find this forum puts a brake on my photography. I'll look through the camera to "do" the shot & not hit the button, thoughts running through my of "won't be as good as xxxx or yyyy did that last week & he nailed it "

Sometimes I hate you lot :mad: :razz:

but most of the time I want to say "well done everyone" :clap: (y)

i think we all get upset with our pics once in a while. this weekend i was on holiday in mallorca and i really felt i couldnt do the place justice. exposures were very tricky with the high contrast lighting and haze and i just got annoyed. i was about to splash out on some new kit but i felt i didn't deserve it and should learn to use mine better.

i find this forum is great for hearing opinions be they positive or negative about your pics and recieving constructive critique. this is the only way i learn and as others have said you are often your worst critic!

Sometimes, but honestly it's difficult to take a bad photo of the subject matter I'm mainly concerned with.
Royal and ViP visits being the exception, of course.

I do get frustrated with some of the idiots I sometimes have to work with though - the sight of the French 'Paps' 'Monstering' Prince Charles on saturday in Thiepval was horrifying and had I been armed, there'd be a few more graves there today...

mrgubby said:
I sometimes find this forum puts a brake on my photography. I'll look through the camera to "do" the shot & not hit the button, thoughts running through my of "won't be as good as xxxx or yyyy did that last week & he nailed it "

Sometimes I hate you lot :mad: :razz:

but most of the time I want to say "well done everyone" :clap: (y)

Dude, if i thought about all the good stuff I see on here everytime I went to press the shutter I'd end up selling everything and taking up macrame! Instead I tend to think 'Now that was a good shot, how can I take that idea and put my own spin on it, or develop it further' I'm completely unashamed to say that I plagirise ideas left, right and centre. Having said that though, I always try to come up with new stuff too.

Case in point is a shot on Charlie Waites website of a tree in a field I drive past at least 3 times a week (Willoughby Hedge). I've been waiting for about a year to be there when the lights good and then a couple of weeks ago saw the shot his website. Will it stop me going back til I get the shot? No, Because I know mine will be different and my own personal take on it!

noah said:
i think we all get upset with our pics once in a while. this weekend i was on holiday in mallorca and i really felt i couldnt do the place justice. exposures were very tricky with the high contrast lighting and haze and i just got annoyed. i was about to splash out on some new kit but i felt i didn't deserve it and should learn to use mine better.
thats no excuse! you know you should be spending at least 75-90% of your monthly income on photography equipment regardless of how much you use it!!! :coat:

teehee!!:naughty:

Monstering is the PAP term for loads of phots getting right in (too) close and being very offensive - proper scrum tactics, lots of jostling, swearing (in French this time, thankfully) and lots of shouting.
The worst sort of PAP behaviour in other words.

Trouble is that if a couple do it, you have no option but to join in as otherwise you'll miss the shots and get fired (yes, really). This is a cut-throat profession and you have to be a b*st*rd to succeed, especially in this field.

Arkady said:
Sometimes, but honestly it's difficult to take a bad photo of the subject matter I'm mainly concerned with.
Royal and ViP visits being the exception, of course.

I do get frustrated with some of the idiots I sometimes have to work with though - the sight of the French 'Paps' 'Monstering' Prince Charles on saturday in Thiepval was horrifying and had I been armed, there'd be a few more graves there today...

There is no real subject that can't be done badly. There is a lot of work coming out of the conflict zones that say very little other then the shooter was there

Then there's the work of people like Chirstopher Anderson that's way beyond most of what's turned out
http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/TreePf_MAG.aspx?ID=ANC

All the time. Going through a phase at the moment. My dad is off to Tiawan and the like for a week, so i gave him a shopping list of a couple of lenses to get for me if they were cheap. I then spent all last night worrying that i was going to spend all this money on "Just a hobby".
"Was it worth it?", "havent i slowed down taking pictures at the mo, is the novelty wearing off?", etc

Told my wife and she told me to stop being stupid and that its a good thing to be doing. Bless her:love:

As people have said above, you should always find something that should be improved upon in your work. Thats how you grow as an artist. One of my art teachers at college told me that the day he painted a picture that he couldnt find a fault with was the day he woud stop painting.

FWIW I personally think your work is some of the best on show here. keep it up!! :D

Back