Do you know what this is please?

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
I was in St. James Park the other day and all the crows were going berserk at least 40 of them! When I got there it was all about a hawk I think.
Now this is the best I could do as I only saw it for a couple of seconds as it came out from under a low branch then took off very fast with all crow following, screeching madly all around tourists getting in way.
Thanks for any help to identify it.
View attachment 32853

Sparrowhawk Barry,a pity is was not a bit clearer.

Last edited:
It might not be the best shot re. quality etc. but very interesting to see both like that on the ground so close . Well done for getting a grab shot.

An opportunity grabbed superb shot!! The sparrowhawk has A male blackbird and looks like the crow is definitely trying it's luck for an easy meal !
Regards Clive

Thank you for naming it, its strange the only sparrow hawks I have seen are with a handler didn't know they were wild in London.
As for crows one or two would attack then fly off then another was coming in but most were 4 or 5 feet away.
The hawk was under branch so they couldn't get to it except a frontal attack. I will see if I can enhance picture.

Sadly cant do much with it, heres the wider shot.
Was a bit wobbly on my mobility scooter at a strange angle.
Did give chase but it shot out of park towards parliament.
View attachment 32884

An opportunity grabbed superb shot!! The sparrowhawk has A male blackbird and looks like the crow is definitely trying it's luck for an easy meal !
Regards Clive

Well spotted..I didn't see the blackbird.

Thank you for naming it, its strange the only sparrow hawks I have seen are with a handler didn't know they were wild in London.

You'd be very suprised about birds of prey in London.
I lived in North London (Muswell Hill area) for a few years, in the woods and cemetery where I walked my dog and did some photography, a male Tawny Owl who lived in an old oak tree in the woods would call to a female whi lived in the cemetery.
One evening a friend and I saw some crows chase off a Sparrowhawk and a couple of the groundworkers at the cemetery told me about a pair of Kestrels that had been nesting there for quite some time.
I can't remember which bird of prey it was but a few years ago there was one found to be living in central London.
Oh and well done on the capture, right place right time :)

Back