Do you shoot panoramas or 360s?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
if so which software do you use for stitching them together?

which panorama head do you use?

thanks

software i used in the past was Windows Photo Gallery live i think its called, much better than stitching in PS or the like IMO

its a free download from microsoft

Another freebie is Autostitch. I really like the results of this one.

thanks SimonTALM I have checked out the Ninja Nodal 5 head which looks great and has some good feedback I have Manfrotto 190xprob which I think should be ok with it ... have been tossing up between NN5 and Manfrotto Manfrotto 303SPH but am leaning towards the NN5 also downloaded PTGUI which looks really good... had to google immervision as not heard of it or seen it show up in any searches will have a read through the site .. once again thanks for posting reply

Freester ..

I have downloaded Autostitch and will have a play this also comes with some good feedback ...

rpcrowe

I checked out the Panasaurus Pano which looks with the Tower attachment rather bulky ... wish there was a place I could go to check out all that are available :) looked at the pano you have of San Diego Bay look like a nice area you said
'If you keep an eye on the horizon and rotate from the hips; it is possible to shoot a reasonably good pano hand-held'

Thats why I gave up golf ... not being able to rotate from the hips ...lol

thanks for replies and links much appreciated

i've recently discovered autopanel pro, gives better results than i got from pano factory, made a 258mb one today from 15 vertical tiffs and it's flawless in its stitching. (i've not resized or uploaded it yet though), but i can do, check back in 5 minutes.

Heres a link to it 4117x600px (original is 21k pixels by 3112 i think)

http://www.wesleybrookes.co.uk/pics2/panoramasmall.jpg

wez130 can you give me a link to autopanel pro as I seem to be getting car paint sites when I google .. just checked out the image and it certainly looks good ..

I tried with CS3 and got a great image but am looking to do some speherical panoramas and I dont think CS3 will do that ...

looked at the image Cavking and I cant see any little girl .. nice image

thanks Snap Happy I think I have arcsoft panorama maker sure it came with my old coolpix will check ... thanks for reminding nme ...:)

Shoot on a panoramic camera and then scan the trannies in.....far better and much purer than stitching or other comps.

For th eultimate in panoramics, get a Fuji 617 and a couple of lenses. If you don't want to lug the equivalent of a 10x8 camera around (617 is a slice out of a 10x8 frame shot onto 120 film), then get a Hasselblad X-Pan, which is a 35mm rangefinder that shoots a panoramic slice from a 6x7 onto 35mm film - Mamiya used to make a panoramic adaptor to use in their 6x7 cameras to do exactly the same thing.

The results from even the X-pan will knock your socks off - like exhibition prints 3m wide and you can't see the grain from 10 feet away - any closer and you will strain your neck looking at it. The Fuji 617 will happily produce 20foot prints.........how much quality do you want. BUT either of these will knock a stitched together digital into a cocked hat.

Lensflare I hear you ... just had a look at some panoramas shot using the Fuji 617 and your right they are special .... but not long had a 5d so to ask the one who must be obayed for more funds ... maybe you could put in a good word for me lol... I will put a Fuji 617 on my wish list as it

thanks Richard I have been looking at the site and downloaded Autopano Pro and sure does look good will try it out this afternoon

also checked out your site some excellent photos

Just a quickie lads - I've never considered pano's until yesterday before, if the software is really that good in stitching them all together - what are the advantages of a pano head over a normal tripod head?

As in - can you really see the difference in a wide landscape image?

Cheers

DD

good question as i was considering a panoramic head, it'd make a damn easier job of stitching for a start i think, my panorama in this thread was hand held, i literally fired 15 shots along the scene keeping my 30D as straight as possible so hardly put any effort into it.

Well I've just been messing about shooting for panos this morning and CS3 seems to do a fine job of stitching them together, but I can't see any distortion as such to worry about, and I just handheld my shots too

So I'm thinking on a tripod they MUST be better, but how much better for a pano head then is my problem

:shrug:

DD

I just used CS2 for this for my first ever pano a couple of days ago but was really disappointed with the results. May be more down to the shots that I stitched together though, there are definite bands where the sky joins up.

I just used CS2 for this for my first ever pano a couple of days ago but was really disappointed with the results. May be more down to the shots that I stitched together though, there are definite bands where the sky joins up.

'bands' ???

Do you mean you can see where they joined images meet?

Did you shoot on manual with a fixed WB? If not, the exposure and WB differences can cause problems

Otherwise :shrug::shrug::shrug:

DD

'bands' ???

Do you mean you can see where they joined images meet?

Did you shoot on manual with a fixed WB? If not, the exposure and WB differences can cause problems

Otherwise :shrug::shrug::shrug:

DD

I definitely fixed the WB, but may have shot on Av rather than manual (durr, obvious really), I'll have to check the exif. Thought it might have been due to vignetting but your thought is much more likely!

Well I've just been messing about shooting for panos this morning and CS3 seems to do a fine job of stitching them together, but I can't see any distortion as such to worry about, and I just handheld my shots too

So I'm thinking on a tripod they MUST be better, but how much better for a pano head then is my problem

:shrug:

DD

The panoramic heads are needed if there is alot of close foreground detail that you want to capture as they eliminate the paralax error you'll get with just a tripod. I'd also challenge you to do a full 360x180 spherical panorama without one.

However you are right for the odd panoramic landscape where there is no foreground you'll be fine handheld or just using a tripod.

well Im still looking at different stitching software .. getting closer to deciding ... :)

but I have invested in a Nodal Ninja 5 pan head after much looking and asking questions and I got to say its a really great bit of kit ..easy to use
holds the 5d with a 24 - 105 no problem (will take a 70 - 200) .. now just need a good panorama lens .. the nn5 lets you do multi row pans .. they also have great support forum ..

after taking some hand held which were Ok the pan head makes a mile of difference also easier to stitch ..

I'm a little curious about these panoramic heads. I have not seen one in the flesh but only seen them in magazines. I understand how you set the sliders up so that the camera pivots around the front lens, but does it also do this when you pan vertically? It is difficult to tell from the pictures of them I have seen.

It did occur to me that for horizontal panoramas only it would be easy to make up a bracket to place your camera in the correct position. This could be made of aluminium or even 12mm ply. Basically it would have a screw through one end that would go up into the tripod thread of the camera, then an internal thread through the other end which would fit to the tripod. When making it up you would ensure that the distance between the centres of the screw and the internal thread equalled the distance between the centre of your camera's tripod thread and the centre of your front lens. Even more glamerous would be such a device made from two pieces of material held together with a slot and bolt, such that this thread to thread distance could be adjusted depending upon the lens you have fitted at a given time.

Back