Do you think this is a fair rating /10?

JYC

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at buying a used camera from Wex, who are meant to be a reputable online retailer, but been put right off by their grading system. With the following description do you think their score is fair?

Body shows signs of use, body will exhibit more obvious signs of use including light wear to the lens mount, light wear to the base with shining to the base edges. light scratches to the screen with two large scratches more visible than the rest, heavy wear to the grips with peeling to the rear thumb grips and front, heavy wear to the front right corner, shining to the top edge of the body with wear under the hotshoe mount near the logo, 2 spots on sensor that show at F11. The sensor is clean and free of dust, marks and scratches. Shutter count: Not available.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-fuji-x-t1-digital-camera-body/p1594852

I find all shops selling used seem to 'trick' you so to say. Lots of them seem to use MINT and then EX++ EX+ EX etc. when EX (for excellent) is showing heavy signs of use or something similar! That's not excellent! I looked at a lens from a reputable seller in a shop and it was listed as VG (Very Good) but was told this is their lowest rating, and the lens had lots of cosmetic marks and other things wrong. They obviously don't want to use negative words no matter how bad the items are.

Looking at buying a used camera from Wex, who are meant to be a reputable online retailer, but been put right off by their grading system. With the following description do you think their score is fair?

Body shows signs of use, body will exhibit more obvious signs of use including light wear to the lens mount, light wear to the base with shining to the base edges. light scratches to the screen with two large scratches more visible than the rest, heavy wear to the grips with peeling to the rear thumb grips and front, heavy wear to the front right corner, shining to the top edge of the body with wear under the hotshoe mount near the logo, 2 spots on sensor that show at F11. The sensor is clean and free of dust, marks and scratches. Shutter count: Not available.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-fuji-x-t1-digital-camera-body/p1594852
I bought my first X-T1 from WEX and actually looked at buying this one too, in the end I bought one from aperture at the same price. I like the detailed descriptions and honest grading. If you can live with the imperfections its a good price though, especially with the 10% off coupon.

Sometimes been surprised at Wex descriptions, seen 9/10 where the written description would lead me not to approach with a barge-pole!

Sometimes been surprised at Wex descriptions, seen 9/10 where the written description would lead me not to approach with a barge-pole!
Thats one bit about their grading I don't understand, a 9/10 should be pretty perfect to be fair but often see a 9/10 grading when there are clear imperfections on the body. I usually ignore the grading and go on the description.

It does make you wonder how they arrive at the rating. Its clearly not out of 10. I had been thinking about a lens that was 9/10, but am going to think again about it.

I worry about how bad it would be to get a rating lower than 8!

2 spots on the sensor (that presumably they have been unable to clean off!) would an absolute deal breaker for me even at a much lower price.

I think its probably an honest description and wouldn't pay any mind to a score out of 10 when you have no idea what that compares to

I worry about how bad it would be to get a rating lower than 8!

2 spots on the sensor (that presumably they have been unable to clean off!) would an absolute deal breaker for me even at a much lower price.

That would put me off as well, but how can they say this ......
2 spots on sensor that show at F11. The sensor is clean and free of dust, marks and scratches.

Reactions: JYC
That would put me off as well, but how can they say this ......
2 spots on sensor that show at F11. The sensor is clean and free of dust, marks and scratches.

Haha! The person who wrote that description must have 2 personalities?

I think its probably an honest description and wouldn't pay any mind to a score out of 10 when you have no idea what that compares to

Yeah, the description is very thorough but I guess they are hoping for some mug who just sees a fairly cheap price, condition '8/10' and pops it into their cart?

Haha! The person who wrote that description must have 2 personalities?

Yeah, the description is very thorough but I guess they are hoping for some mug who just sees a fairly cheap price, condition '8/10' and pops it into their cart?

Possibly, probably, I guess you get idiots buy all sort ;)

Always surprises me when people are surprised that sellers are less than honest in their descriptions of stuff they're selling. The first caveman to sell a rock said it was EX++.

I've not used WEX for used items, but would expect a lower rating given the description. I have used Ffordes though, and in my experience they have honest ratings and have been quick to respond when I have made further enquirers before purchase.

[QUOTE="sarahhj, post: 7395439, member: 11549".... I have used Ffordes though, and in my experience they have honest ratings and have been quick to respond when I have made further enquirers before purchase.[/QUOTE]

:plus1:

to be fair most places that use the Mint, Exc ++ Exc+ EXC rating system do have clear definitions on their websites, if people don't read these its not really the companies fault... that said i ws looking at MPB earlier and noticed that they've changed their ratings to Looks like new , Excellent, Good, Well used, and spares or repair which is more transparent (and probably saves them a lot of time in dealing with unhappy customers)

Reading the description, I would say 6/10 mainly because of the spots on the sensor everything else is a 8/10, they are being quite honest as I am sure other retailers might not even disclose these spots as it is something people might not even notice

..............I am sure other retailers might not even disclose these spots as it is something people might not even notice

I've just returned a Nikon 50/1.8 AF to the shop selling on eBay
oil on the shutter
oil residue inside the rear element

thought my D300 was massively over-exposing - nope = sticky shutter - sometimes at f1.8....:(

the Seller listing says
NIKON 50MM F1.8 AIS AUTOFOCUS PRIME LENS. ALL FULLY WORKING WITH SNAPPY APERTURE. OPTICS ARE CLEAN BRIGHT AND FUNGUS FREE

..........rant over

Last edited:
Back