Do you tip your hairdresser/barber?

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a discussion with the guys at work about tipping your barber. Place up the road from work that I go to in lunchtimes charges £9 to cut my hair, one guy at work thinks I should be rounding this up to a tenner. In fact he thought I was being rude by not tipping him anything.
My view is that if they want me to pay a tenner they should charge a tenner. I'd still pay the tenner but that's not what they charge at the moment.
Am I being the most rude person by not rounding up or am I normal by not doing this? Do you to your hairdresser/barber?

I am my hairdresser! If I went to a barber, yes I would leave a tip.

Choice is your IMHO.
If employers paid enough there wouldn't be the need for tips.
I do in restaurants if the food & service is good, if not then no, not been to a hairdresser in years so can't comment on that.
Can't really see why we are expected to tip staff for some services and not others, anyone know ?

Last edited:
always a personal choice never should be made to feel like a 'done' thing.

I tip our barber, they are great with my 2 lads and I have never had a disappointing haircut and I am happy to show them a little extra appreciation for how they treat us.

I have a really good mobile hairdresser who comes out for mine and I always round it up to the nearest bank note.
The exact value depends on exactly what I'm having done and whether she's just doing my hair or both of ours.

a) It's easier than faffing about with the right change
b) She's self-employed and TBH I think she's seriously under-charging for her services.
c) Even rounding it up, it's still cheaper and more time effective than trekking into a salon

I don't think anyone should feel obliged to tip, but similarly I'm quite happy to pay what I think a service is worth.

Had a discussion with the guys at work about tipping your barber. Place up the road from work that I go to in lunchtimes charges £9 to cut my hair, one guy at work thinks I should be rounding this up to a tenner. In fact he thought I was being rude by not tipping him anything.
My view is that if they want me to pay a tenner they should charge a tenner. I'd still pay the tenner but that's not what they charge at the moment.
Am I being the most rude person by not rounding up or am I normal by not doing this? Do you to your hairdresser/barber?

Sometimes I would say to the staff: "Keep the change for yourself." as a way of tipping the staff.

I find it annoying that a lot of things costs like 99p, £1.99, £4.99, £9.99, and so on, or like £4, £9, £19 etc. Because it always meant I give a banknote, and get so much loose change that I have to fill up my pocket with junk. Every time I try to get my key out of my pocket, I kept picking up a £1 coin. I don't want to fill up my pockets with so much penny coins, 2p coins, £1 coins.

Why can't a magazine cost a rounded up £5 so you give your £5 banknote and lighten up your pockets, rather than £4.99 and get a penny coin which is only good for ending up in the washing machine!

If my haircut shop charge me £8.49, and the lady did a good job of cutting my hair, then I would prefer to say "Please keep the change for yourself as a tip." than to get too many spare coins.

On a side note: Why on Earth, when giving you your change, do they always put the banknote on your hand, then the coins on top of your banknote? Annoying when you move your hand, the coins slide off the banknotes!

We have a village hairdressers which are really lovely, run by 2 sisters, my youngest loves it if we time it right and it's one of their birthdays we get cake! :D
So in answer yes I do, his haircut is £8 I give them £10

Agree with the note first comment reply, annoys me. I am in the gift at Christmas group, hairdresser is the boss and charges what is thought to be fair for the work done.

Generally don't tip, my patients don't tip me. They pay my fee that I set for the value of my service relevant to location, time, overheads etc.
Its like tipping bin men, my wife things the bin men deserve a tip at Christmas, I don't get it, they are doing a job they are paid for why do they deserve something extra for doing the job they are paid for?

I have been going to the same hairdresser since 1991, she started as a stylist and is now the salon owner and charges me a reasonable price. I not only tip her (and I always have done) but I also give a pound to the junior who washes my hair and makes the tea.

More than happy to do so...:)

At the last count there are 6 places to get ones hair cut in the same shopping center where I live

I always try and go to the same place if I can and will often tip if they are attentive and the service is good

My wife runs the clippers over the head every so often and also colours and cuts her own hair (time served so knows what she's doing, although I can do my own!)

I tip everyone who has done me good service, including plumbers, electricians, and anybody else working on my house. Having worked in an industry (croupier) where receiving tips for my service was important to my income, it just feels right to treat other workers how I liked to be treated.

I always tip for good service too, although haven't been to a barber for years (not much thatch left so switched to DIY with clippers).

My barbers is run by women. I find the Boob to ear ratio is directly proportionate to the size of the tip :D

( Now there's an innuendo waiting to happen )

my mates wife said to him shall i tip the the dustman at xmas ,he said na fxxk them ,when he came home from the office party there was a line of dustmen on the stairs .

:whistle::whistle::whistle:the old ones are the best :whistle::whistle::whistle:

The whole concept of a tip is that it is at my discretion. Do an extra ordinary job, and when I can afford it I will most likely provide an extra reward. Don't ever feel that you are rude for not tipping.

My barbers is 9 quid also and I will tip from time to time, I don't feel rude if I don't like u say round it up to a tenner if you want a tenner!!!!

The whole concept of a tip is that it is at my discretion. Do an extra ordinary job, and when I can afford it I will most likely provide an extra reward. Don't ever feel that you are rude for not tipping.
I've noticed that its largely a "Polite English" thing TBH.

I always tip my barber, it's a traditional thing. Photographers used to be tipped but it's on the decline these days. There were many occasions in the 80s when the brides father would slip a £20 note into my hand or jacket pocket and say thank you. It's a generation thing.

I always use the same barbershop and the same barber every time. Likewise, I always tip to make it up to a tenner (from £9) as they always do a decent job of making me look good instead of having had a run in with Edward Scissor Hands which has happened previously!

Speaking of which, has anyone had a cut so bad they've had to immediately go somewhere else to fix it?

I always tip my barber, it's a traditional thing. Photographers used to be tipped but it's on the decline these days. There were many occasions in the 80s when the brides father would slip a £20 note into my hand or jacket pocket and say thank you. It's a generation thing.
I had a stack of £50 notes in my pocket of my morning dress for exactly that purpose. Where I noticed exceptional customer service on the day I have them a little thank you. I also have some to my best man and ushers.

But we also had to do the reverse and let's say "encourage" the unwanted DJ to make his way out quickly before the lunch so the bridal party didn't notice the d******d. He did get one as well to clean up the dust from his clothes when he picked himself up in the car park. :)

I've noticed that its largely a "Polite English" thing TBH.
Treated like mugs you mean, whilst smiling and bending over backwards :)

I always use the same barbershop and the same barber every time. Likewise, I always tip to make it up to a tenner (from £9) as they always do a decent job of making me look good instead of having had a run in with Edward Scissor Hands which has happened previously!

Speaking of which, has anyone had a cut so bad they've had to immediately go somewhere else to fix it?
I did unfortunately. And ahem it was my wife who tried the clippers with a 1 and 3. Never again :)

I did unfortunately. And ahem it was my wife who tried the clippers with a 1 and 3. Never again :)
I actually paid for mine before realising when I got home that some parts were grade 2 length and others almost half an inch long! Ended up at the local barbers all Navy guys use to get a standard crew cut to even it out [emoji23]

I don't tip unless I'm sure it's going to stay with the individual and not be "thrown into the pot".
I'm not about to help some tightarse employer subsidize his wages bill by using the tips. And a lot do.

It's a generation thing.
I think that sums it up perfectly, I was having a similar discussion recently, about offering tea / coffee and maybe biscuits / cake to a builder / electrician / gas engineer and the like,
when they come to work in your house, the older ones "usually" do, the younger ones, it never crosses their mind, and will make their own, and sit down & drink it, without offering.
I always will offer...

Treated like mugs you mean, whilst smiling and bending over backwards :)
That's the one (y)

Its like tipping bin men, my wife things the bin men deserve a tip at Christmas, I don't get it, they are doing a job they are paid for why do they deserve something extra for doing the job they are paid for?

Plus, these days they barely actually 'do' anything.
Attach the bin (which is right there at the edge of the road waiting for them) to the back of the truck, and then un-attach it again.
Bit of a lottery as to whether we get the right bin back too.
Tip for them? Yeah....look both ways before you cross the road mate. :D

Attach the bin (which is right there at the edge of the road waiting for them) to the back of the truck, and then un-attach it again.
We still use bags here so its throw them on, nothing to return,
apart from the Glass recyclable box that ends up ( is thrown ) god knows where once its emptied.

Tip for them? Yeah....look both ways before you cross the road mate. :D
Well yeah, unless its around here, they just block the road up so nothing can get by either way, :D

I think that sums it up perfectly, I was having a similar discussion recently, about offering tea / coffee and maybe biscuits / cake to a builder / electrician / gas engineer and the like,
when they come to work in your house, the older ones "usually" do, the younger ones, it never crosses their mind, and will make their own, and sit down & drink it, without offering.
I always will offer...

That's the one (y)
We always leave tea/coffee biscuits for our builder...Even go specifically to ASDA to get instant coffee and value biscuits....

Tight git :p
What about Mcvities chocolate bickies, show them you care (y)
:D
If they are on offer in Poundland :)

PS. Yes I am, don't you know that the Dutch are a product of Yorkshire and Scotland :p

Back