Do you turn your camera off?

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
...because I keep forgetting and I'm wondering if it's bad for it?

Becuase it automatically 'switches off' after a few mins, I keep forgetting to actually move the switch to off. Not a problem when it's say in the camera bag, I suppose. But I then plug the camera into the computer without realising. And I just touch the shutter button to turn it on, so it pops up on the Mac to download the images.

Is this wrong? Could I damage the camera at all?

I don't usually remember to switch mine off either. Never done any harm as far as I can tell. Never plug it into my computer th0:shrug::thinking:

I always tend to leave mine on unless I am putting it somewhere where it can keep getting knocked on like in the boot etc.

Modern DSLR's are never really turned off they just stop all the buttons working, they start up in less than a second so there operating system must be running, i cant see how it would hurt your camera but if something hits the shutter button you may fill your card with black pictures LOL

I turn mine off when I remember but i know loads of people that don't some not even when they change lens so no it won't do any harm

I always turn mine off before connecting it to the PC, usb has power going through it may cause a surge :shrug: I dont risk it anyway, and turn off when i change the lens

Never plug it into my computer th0:shrug::thinking:

I dont have a seperate card reader, so just usb the camera to the computer to download images.

Good to see everyone else does the same re not turning off though :)

Turn mine off at the end of the days shooting, i.e. when I get in the house.

68, get a card reader mate........(y)

Posted by Cannockwolf:
cant see how it would hurt your camera but if something hits the shutter button you may fill your card with black pictures LOL

Not if you have it on AF. Though you might find your bag suddenly has some sort of fit when your lens keeps trying to zoom in and out to focus :LOL:

The only times I turn my camera off are when I change battery, remove the card, or change my lens.

I used to always use the USB to upload my pics, but believe me you will be quite shocked at how much battery power you will save using a card reader :eek:

Is one needed? or recommended? Sell it to me Frac :)

Sorry just seen this, can`t tip,ty,......sod it, had a beer and shall reply tomorrow......:D

Card reader = a fiver
new camera because you got a spike back down the cable from the pc= a lot more :bonk:

Righto, this has taken me a while to type, sorry for any speeling erors.......:D

Card readers are cheap, download faster and only need the same USB to connect as the camera does (AFAIK).

Hooking a lead into the camera all the time is not beneficial to the camera, if you get a surge your camera will fry,cameras cost more to buy/mend than readers.

I`m rambling now, sorry, get a card reader though..........(y)

I always turn it off when I put it back in the bag, just means when I pull it out I am not lighting everything up when I accidentally press buttons

I leave my camera always on. It auto shutdown when not used, and easily wakes up when shutter button is pressed.

I quite regularly turn it off, and also forget.. The camera turns itself off when I open the card door to prevent any risk of damage to the card. I don't plug the camera into the puter. No battery usage, and no risk of knocking the USB cable and sending everything crashing to the floor. Had it happen with an old camera and no reader. I got an SDHC reader for 66p from ebay that plugs into the USB port.

Cheers guys, I shall go in search of a card reader. It was the pluggin in and out of the usb bit that was bothering me!

Yes I turn it off.:)

I dont generally turn it off but sometimes I do just so it does a sensor clean! :D

I dont generally turn it off but sometimes I do just so it does a sensor clean! :D

Yours has an internal Dremel? :LOL:

I leave mine on all the time I'm out shooting but turn it off when I put it away

I was led to believe that one should always turn it off if changing a lens or a battery.......:shrug:

I rarely turn mine off, for no other reason than I forget to. It's become such a common experience that when I do switch it off and us the camera again, I'm puzzled for a second as to why the camera isn't working.

As for a card reader, it's so much quicker than downloading directly from the camera.

I dont have a seperate card reader, so just usb the camera to the computer to download images.

I'd go get one... apart from the speed difference, plugging that cable in and out of that socket will knacker it in the long run.

You never want to be plugging and unplugging cables unless you really have to.

Those micro-USB sockets aren't the greatest thing in the world, really fine and delicate.

Back