Do you use a tripod for studio portraits?

Do you use a tripod for studio portraits?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Sometime/depends

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
Only full length with dancers and other figure stuff, and not always then.

I don't trust the camera to focus correctly unless I use single point. Maybe eye-detection would change that for me.

A small change of angle can make a big difference. If the subject lifts their eyeline then it may be more expedient to raise the camera than to over-pose the subject and get them to move their nose a fraction. If I'm on a tripod I don't have that option.

I often have some stuff in the background even in the studio. I like to make sure that lines up well with the subject too, e.g.SC2_8796_Edit_Edit-2 (Small).jpg

Mostly I use a tripod for long exposures where it's important for the camera to remain still in at least one axis, ( zoom bursts and blur trails) or if I'm using a slow-ish exposure with dim lights such as a cine projector, daylight or LEDs. Oh - and for the BTS video cameras!

Also for portraits for a similar reason to the one Simon outlined - once focused, with the subject on a stool, I like to look at them directly to coach the expression, rather than be a muffled headless voice behind the camera.

For general shooting creative stuff, I'm mostly "freehand" to enable swift capture of full-length, 3/4, head, and shoulders and vary the height etc for each variation of the set.

Long exposures - camera fixed, lights fixed, subject moves
_DSC1667-Edit-Wallpaper-3.jpg_DSC1696-Edit-Wallpaper.jpg

Back