Dodgy 400D?

Edit My Images
No
Hiya,

I bought my 400D off the internet and I think it is an import as there is no serial number physically on the camera. There was one on the box though which I have submitted to Canon and received my cashback money.

I was just wondering, are the imported models inferior to the ones made in the UK?

THanks,,

Daniel

hmm
serial number should be on the base
you can't see it if the battery grip is installed
also, try taking a picture
I know that Bridge for example, shows the serial number in the metadata

If you upload a photo you've taken from it (JPEG, unedited), then one of us can look at the Exif data to see your serial number. :) (Or if you dont want it public, feel free to mail it to me marcel@talkphotography.co.uk )

The Serial number should be on the base, as mmcp42 said.

I was just wondering, are the imported models inferior to the ones made in the UK?
Not usually but Cameras are often only covered by the guarantee in the country of purchase which is a bit of a nightmare if you have any problem.
Lenses however are usually given international guarantees that enable you to return them to any dealer regardless of country of purchase

It was probably a 'grey import'. These are cameras that are bought cheaply, as bankrupt stock, or as cheaper imports. The serial numbers are removed so that Canon cannot trace the original trade purchaser, and as such, they would not normally be guaranteed in the UK. Canon UK is a franchise holder, and is a different company than, say, Canon US.

The UK Service centre would in most cases be unwilling to service a grey camera bought from another franchise.

There is, essentially, no difference between a D400 bought from overseas, and one bought in the UK. Cameras for the US and Japanese markets often have cosmetic and small firmware changes, but these can easily be addressed by downloading the current firmware from Canon UK's website.

I wasn't aware that any were actually made in the UK. Anyone ?

Back