Does a 4k screen show much more detail etc

Edit My Images
Yes
now that 4k screens are very affordable can anybody speak from experience and tell me if they noticed a big difference viewing their photos as opposed to an hd screen.

Also would viewing hi res images on a 4k tv show as much detail and quality as a dedicated 4k monitir?

Cheers

I've got a 4k TV, and viewing my images on the TV is quite frankly, incredible!
Makes my pictures look far better than they actually are ;)

No, seriously though, it's very noticeable - we are inevitably about to drop into the conversation of 'how far are you sitting, or, it's all a gimmick etc, but personally, I can see a difference so I'm happy :)

Simply yes. The detail is stunning.

Would it still be as staggering when you are already using a high resolution monitor? Or is it more compared to a 1080p one?

I've got a Dell 3008WFP (2560x1600) for many years and are very happy with it. I just can't make my mind up between a Dell 2715Q (4K) or a Dell U3415W (21:9 3440x1440).

I use a 27 iMac so the res is 2560 x1440,id like the 5K mac equals 5120x2880 but its £1599,
A nice 4K tv is say £800.
A nice pc 4K monitor is say £600-£800
TV seems to be the best value but are the colours etc as god as dedicated monitors(not talking Eizo etc)

Hmm perhaps I should go for a 5K monitor ;)

Whilst a 4K TV may seem good value, I would argue that the screen would be too big for PC/MAC usage, and if the screen was suitable for working 60cm away then it is too small for a TV...Hence a 4K TV isn't a good option in my opinion.

just been looking closely at the same photo on the mac and on my sony hd tv(not 4k) and both seem to look about the same) and from point of view of impressiveness the larger screen 40 in this case looks impressive so if the 4k tv shows more detail etc on top of this i may well go down that root.

not connected by the way does the Ps4 look better also?

Hmm perhaps I should go for a 5K monitor ;)

Whilst a 4K TV may seem good value, I would argue that the screen would be too big for PC/MAC usage, and if the screen was suitable for working 60cm away then it is too small for a TV...Hence a 4K TV isn't a good option in my opinion.
i was thinking do pp on he mac then put photos on a usb storage to view

4k TV looks great when it's fed with 4k content.

When it's upscaling I presume it's just guessing what the spare pixels are & im not sure what the percentage is that it is guessing but it's the lions share.

I believe 1080p would only fill about 25% of the screen so the upscaling just fills up the rest of the screen with what it believes should be there.
I don't think it makes 1080p any better..

I jumped onto 4k TV straight away & im on my second one now.

I believe 8k is available in Japan & has been for quite some time

I don't look at photographs on TV but I know video from my dslr looks canny.

Last edited:
yes I'm unsure,i shoot in raw but the converted Jpeg is what res? and is it higher than say my mac so am i not seeing all thats possible?

6000x4000 i think so no screen has that res does it so does that mean the 4 K screen won't be upscaling and not even showing highest take of that res?

I do like it, but can't help but wonder about the 32" version instead....

Sorry you are right, I could have sworn that I saw a larger 5K model but that was a 4K one. Shame.

The dell 5k screen actually looks stupidly expensive. For just £300 more you can have one with an iMac inside it ;)

The dell 5k screen actually looks stupidly expensive. For just £300 more you can have one with an iMac inside it ;)
Or have two 2715q 4K screens :) hmmm now there is an idea. It does make the 4K look like great value.

Back