Does AF squeal affect Nikkor 400mm as much as the 500/4?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
This is geared mainly for the 400/2.8 G or FL users, and following on from 500/4 squeal as I have been looking for an 500/4G then an FL and most that I have come across have the dreaded AF squeal. The retailers I have checked recently on 2 copies of the E did checks on their stock and admitted the lenses did squeal. As I use the lenses for birds mainly the squeal is a no-no.

Question I have is - is the issue as commonplace in the 400/2.8 as it is on the 500? None of those I have looked at online have squeal mentioned (unlike some of the 500s on sale at MPB, credit to them for mentioning it) so the focus of my search is going towards getting the 400/2.8FL.

Any info from Nikkor 400/2,8 would be appreciated.

My Nikon 400mm f2.8G developed a SWM squeak after sitting idle during Covid lockdown , it cost £350 for a new SWM.
The lens had very light non- professional use so it wasn't "worn out" by any means.

Edit, I also have a Nikon 600mm f4G which had the same idleness during "lockdown" but the SWM is fine so far .

Last edited:
I owned a 400 2.8G briefly which squealed a lot when first arriving but only for a few seconds after I had left it in different positions per day for a week to see if it was a lubricant distribution issue. It did get better but the squeal never went away but the AF worked flawlessly. More of an annoyance than anything but it was something I couldn’t really live with for something that was a fair chunk of change….

The 500 f4G I owned though was flawless

Had both the 400 f2.8 and the 500 f4 and no hint of squeal from either. :)

And info from owners of the E FL versions? I was informed that they would be better then 'G's in regard of the squeal but it seems not.

Had a 500mm f/4G and that had a tiny bit of squeal. My 400mm f/2.8G was silent and my current 400mm f/2.8E FL is silent too. The 500mm never gave me any issues at all, focusing was very quick, a lot quicker than my 500mm PF plus it was sharper. I think the squeal is just a negative when you come to sell it on as it puts buyers off. Older G series spares are still available so that’s not an issue. If you’re buying one with a squeal use it to knock the price down.

Took the plunge on an 'as new' 500/4E from MPB... was close to pulling the trigger on the one from Mifsuds when it came down to £4.5K but it shot up back to £5k on Friday... then this one appeared on MPB - they do mention squeal on a number of lenses but not on this one.... plus MPB offer 6 months guarantee and can take AMEX. Planned for delivery Monday, it's already here - it could only have been used once - everything is there, but the squeal isn't. Happy happy happy.

Back