Does anyone else have close relatives that speak a different language?

Father in law is Scottish and I cant understand him after he has had a whisky.
Does that count? :shrug:

Brother moved to Wales and had to learn for job, nephew and niece went to school there so they all speak welsh.

My son speaks Japanese on account of him marrying a Japanese girl.

Mrs G and myself went to night classes to learn Japanese but found it to be one of the hardest languages to master and of course you have the written word to learn as well:(

My wife speaks three languages and can communicate with all my family and friends, I on the other hand can speak two, one fluently and the second is a hybrid of the two non English languages my wife knows.

I can't understand either of my children .........

and my wife doesn't understand me :D

My uncle is from Stoke. Eh up Duck :D

An ex of mine had an italian grandma, and she was hard to understand at the best of times.

My uncle is from Stoke. Eh up Duck

Our best friends here in France are also from Stoke and half the time we don't understand a word Mr says. He came here yesterday wearing a T shirt with the following slogan on it.....

'Cost kick a bow agen' a woe, y'ed it back an bost it?'

Don't ask me.......:shrug:

Oh, and yes, I can get by with my french

my mum spoke german, my father also speaks it, but i dont...

I used to be married into an Italian family who didnt speak a word of English so I had to learn, got pretty fluent but havent used it for a while now.

My in-laws are Russian. That was a barrel of laughs for the first few months.

Our best friends here in France are also from Stoke and half the time we don't understand a word Mr says. He came here yesterday wearing a T shirt with the following slogan on it.....

'Cost kick a bow agen' a woe, y'ed it back an bost it?'

Don't ask me.......:shrug:

This roughly translates as, 'Can you kick a ball against a wall, head it back and burst it?' It is often a question asked by young Stoke girls of prospective lovers. :shrug:

My son speaks German and Welsh fluently ;)

Nev

i can speak a tiny bit of mackaton, but cant spell it though

This roughly translates as, 'Can you kick a ball against a wall, head it back and burst it?' It is often a question asked by young Stoke girls of prospective lovers. :shrug:

... and the prospective lover says ...

"eh up Duck, going 'anley?" :D

Jean - Potteries born and bred and happy because I've just found oatcakes in my local supermarket! :D

Oh - back on topic - my father-in-law spoke Welsh (no English) until he was 20ish and wanted to go to university. He had to learn English and then took his degree in Latin, Greek and Theology.

Last edited:
I have a French friend. She has an Icelandic partner. Neither of them speaks their opposite's language so they communicate in English. They've recently had a baby who's going to have to learn to speak all 3 languages.

My paternal grandparents were both fluent in Esperanto, which I always thought was a type of coffee :shrug:

My in-laws are from Wolverhampton... '..bostin aye it.'

Used to have a Dutch girlfriend who spoke better English than some English folk - her mother spoke 5 languages fluently. She used to sing a rather rude song in Spanish about nailing your daughter to a cross - apparently to nail and to screw is the same (couldn't understand a word though)

My brother lives in Latvia now and is married to a Latvian. Needless to say his wife and children speak much better English than I speak Latvian.

My brother lives in Latvia now and is married to a Latvian. Needless to say his wife and children speak much better English than I speak Latvian.

I'm in Latvia right now with my in-laws (I'm not marks brother, even though i am from norfolk :) )

Its not too hard to communicate because they have a good sense of humour, but the hardest problem is knowing when to fit in your own conversation.
Because i dont have a clue what they are saying I dont know when i can start talking (in english) without changing their subject half way through their conversation.
Or more annoyingly its when they do it to me. I'll ask a question, and then someone else will start talking and i dont get my answer.. Still, it would be fine if i learned some more Latvian!

I have a French friend. She has an Icelandic partner. Neither of them speaks their opposite's language so they communicate in English. They've recently had a baby who's going to have to learn to speak all 3 languages.

A Brazilian friend of mine married hi Belgian girlfriend. The wedding was kind of cool as everyone was speaking English in various accents.

Its not too hard to communicate because they have a good sense of humour, but the hardest problem is knowing when to fit in your own conversation.
Because i dont have a clue what they are saying I dont know when i can start talking (in english) without changing their subject half way through their conversation.
Or more annoyingly its when they do it to me. I'll ask a question, and then someone else will start talking and i dont get my answer.. Still, it would be fine if i learned some more Latvian!

Sounds just like my local Tescos :shake:

Back