Does anyone have an MPE-65?

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
No
Just wondering what kind of DOF you get with said lens? Is there anything comparable on a nikon system or is this one area where Canon reigns supreme? (which is what I suspect)

I've got one of these DOFless wonders....a mm or two at the most at 5x mag but you can squeeze a little more at lower mag's.
Not sure about Nikon, sorry

Bob

I use Raynox clip on lenses or extension tubes on my canon and would love a MP-e 65 so is you are giving one away think of me :LOL:

I have a raynox msn-202 already but I kind of wondered if a lens such as the MPE-65 could somehow work in a bigger DOF... I guess not

It seems to me that the only real way to go for serious macro work is with as small a sensor as possible. My old Fuji S9500 was probably better at getting in close than my D80 when both equipped with said Raynox 4x mag glass. Saying that, the images do look much nicer on the nikon :)

Is there anyway to increase the DOF without dropping the F-stop so much? sometimes I work at F64 just to get as much coverage as possible but the sharpness is so nice at F11 that I find myself torn!

It's only the DOF limit that stopped me from buying myself a '505, but I agree the Raynox glass is extremely good quality for the price!

Thanks for your replies chaps :)

I have a raynox msn-202 already but I kind of wondered if a lens such as the MPE-65 could somehow work in a bigger DOF... I guess not

It seems to me that the only real way to go for serious macro work is with as small a sensor as possible. My old Fuji S9500 was probably better at getting in close than my D80 when both equipped with said Raynox 4x mag glass. Saying that, the images do look much nicer on the nikon :)

Is there anyway to increase the DOF without dropping the F-stop so much? sometimes I work at F64 just to get as much coverage as possible but the sharpness is so nice at F11 that I find myself torn!

It's only the DOF limit that stopped me from buying myself a '505, but I agree the Raynox glass is extremely good quality for the price!

Thanks for your replies chaps :)

I'm not an expert and not tried it yet, but I think your friend here is macro-stacking. I'll have to dig out a linky if I am not beaten to it! :D

**edit** found one - http://flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/163367/

This macro world is still pretty new to me, dabble a little with my 180mm Sigma Macro but these are a different world of standard.

A question: when using a Raynox lens like the 202, what distance away do you tend to be from the subject? I appreciate it does depend on the length of the lens, the only 62mm thread lens I have is the sigma 28-300.

Yes, I have an MPE-65.

Just wondering what kind of DOF you get with said lens?

None. But less when you ramp up the magnification :)

And note that the sharpest image is NOT at the smallest aperture.

Is there anything comparable on a nikon system or is this one area where Canon reigns supreme?

I think that MK, a Nikon tog that I respect, once said that the MPE-65 was the one thing from Canon that he would like on his Nikon.

Andrew

A question: when using a Raynox lens like the 202, what distance away do you tend to be from the subject? I appreciate it does depend on the length of the lens, the only 62mm thread lens I have is the sigma 28-300.

Well, using my 90mm macro lens, with the raynox attached I'm pretty sure I get 4:1 mag (but maybe more, I'm not sure how you multiply or add the mag levels together) and to get anything in focus I need to be about the length of my index finger away (or closer) for a decent shot.

I don't think it'll be as sharp or as good as the MPE-65 but it's certainly still a good combo and I think getting a good shot has far more to do with the user than the lens in this case (ie: there's a chap on flickr called "Lord V" who could probably do amazing things with my setup that I can only dream about, actually Ajophotog on this site too)

As has been pointed out 'focus stacking' is great technique but it requires practice and also your subject needs to be still for long enough that you get several shots in.

I would love an MPE-65 equivalent on my Nikon but till then I have a few good shots and summer is coming so more to follow hopefully :)

n595807173_276661_3200.jpg

n595807173_296746_9698.jpg

n595807173_413488_1358.jpg

There are higher res pics if you follow the link to my zenfolio site :)

I love macro photography its great - can't wait for more little bugs to come visiting so I can 'shoot' them (y)

Back