Does anyone photograph live music?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone photograph live music, and do you get paid? what kind of arrangements do people have if they don't mind sharing? Even if you don't get paid.

Thinking local live music, not U2 or something..

Last edited:
I used to photograph live music gigs years ago (back in the days when film was the only option). I had a few photos published but as it was a bit of a niche market (blues music) and they were small, independent magazines, there was no payment involved. About the only thing I got in return (other than thanks and a credit in the magazine or gig programme) was free admission to a few gigs if I agreed to take some photos. As my photography was (and still is) done purely as a hobby I was happy enough with that. :)

Bear in mind that the market will have changed since then, and as the world and his wife now seem to have cameras on their smartphones that will produce good low-light shots, and most new digi SLRs will produce acceptable low-light results, I imagine it may be even harder to try to get someone to pay for a photo of their gig or artist? I'd be interested to know how it is these days though. Best of luck if you decide to give it a go.

Anyway, back to the old days, here's one I took of Jimmy Rogers at the 1991 Redcar International Blues Festival. Sorry it's a scan of a print, my film scanner doesn't seem to like the Kodak Ektar 1000 ISO film I used to use in those days!

Last edited:
I suspected they wouldn't be any money in it, I didn't want to commit to it as a job - I just wanted to do it for the enjoyment of it.

I use to shoot gigs... A lot. Pay wise, it all depends on the gig/band/manager(if any) and how desperate they are. I found it really varied from free admission to a few hundred. That was back when digital was just really coming in. It also helps if you get to know a band. Very rarely, you get to tour with them. Covering a band's tour can be fun. Offering to do covers for albums/doing a set for the band, can pay, too... I've been dangled out of a window, about five stories up, just to get a pretty basic shot.........

Basically, if you want to earn a living via gigs, it's just about impossible, unless you put in many years and get to know managers and the like. As usual, it's who you know, not what you know, to a point. But you can earn some money....

I suspected they wouldn't be any money in it, I didn't want to commit to it as a job - I just wanted to do it for the enjoyment of it.

If it's just for the enjoyment, just turn up, early to a local gig. Speak to the organiser and say if the band or the club would like some pics taken.. They never say no, in my experience. Plus if the band know you're taking pics for THEM, they'll more than likely pose, whilst playing. Also, offer up some before gig pics of them.

If it's just for the enjoyment, just turn up, early to a local gig. Speak to the organiser and say if the band or the club would like some pics taken.. They never say no, in my experience. Plus if the band know you're taking pics for THEM, they'll more than likely pose, whilst playing. Also, offer up some before gig pics of them.

Thanks,

I've emailed a local business that has a lot of live music on, to see whether they are interested.

I've already a full time job, and semi-pro work in weddings & events - this will be a hobby.

If you want to get on well with a band try to get a couple of good shots of the keyboard player and drummer, as well as the ones up front with the guitars, mikes and whatever. It's usually harder to get a good shot of a drummer due to the clutter of the drum kit in front of them, and to an extent that's often true of the keyboard player too, especially if they have a mike in front of them. As a generalisation (which is always dangerous!), these band members don't tend to have as many 'live action' type photos taken of themselves, so are usually quite pleased if you manage to get a good shot or two to give them! (y)

If you want to get on well with a band try to get a couple of good shots of the keyboard player and drummer, as well as the ones up front with the guitars, mikes and whatever. It's usually harder to get a good shot of a drummer due to the clutter of the drum kit in front of them, and to an extent that's often true of the keyboard player too, especially if they have a mike in front of them. As a generalisation (which is always dangerous!), these band members don't tend to have as many 'live action' type photos taken of themselves, so are usually quite pleased if you manage to get a good shot or two to give them! (y)

Yes I noticed how it was difficult to shoot people at the back, I got permission from a band member - but I was still a guest and did not want to upset anyone by getting in too close or getting in anyone elses way..

Not getting in the way of the paying punters is an important consideration, especially at a small gig where the stage is low. It's like anything in life really, courtesy and consideration usually goes a long way. I always avoided using flash whenever possible, predominantly as I felt it took the atmosphere out of the shots, but also so as not to annoy the artists (some gigs and/or artists would specify no flash too). These days I imagine that's less of a problem with the high ISO range available on digi SLRs? :) Oh, the other thing to watch for is getting your equipment stolen. Back in the 90's a photographer I knew was followed after a gig in Manchester and mugged for all his camera kit when he stopped at a petrol station on his way home! So perhaps best not to take an expensive-looking bag full of kit with you, just take what you really need and keep a low profile.

Not getting in the way of the paying punters is an important consideration, especially at a small gig where the stage is low. It's like anything in life really, courtesy and consideration usually goes a long way. I always avoided using flash whenever possible, predominantly as I felt it took the atmosphere out of the shots, but also so as not to annoy the artists (some gigs and/or artists would specify no flash too). These days I imagine that's less of a problem with the high ISO range available on digi SLRs? :) Oh, the other thing to watch for is getting your equipment stolen. Back in the 90's a photographer I knew was followed after a gig in Manchester and mugged for all his camera kit when he stopped at a petrol station on his way home! So perhaps best not to take an expensive-looking bag full of kit with you, just take what you really need and keep a low profile.

What I have is a Leica SL with a 50mm 1.4 summilux and a Leica Q with 28mm 1.7 :D they are what I'd shoot with... but they will be on me at all times, the SL strapped over my shoulder and Q the neck. I don't imagine I'd need any other gear for now at least :)

Back in the 70's and 80's I used to shoot a lot of bands at a large local venue using film, 2 x OM1's and HP5 uprated to iso 1600. Shot a lot of new wave and punk bands, and some folk and rock. I used available light and flash. Later the bands management would restrict the use of photography.

Now I shoot a few bands at a small local theatre, and sometimes away from the local area just for fun. I'll position myself up against the PA speakers, often shooting from just behind them across the stage, or sitting on the bottom of steps between the seating facing the front, not obstructing anyones view, that is essential. When at venues I visit in Oxford and Bristol I can shoot from the side of the stage. Lighting is usually challenging, often using iso 6400 with varying shutter speeds, hit rates can vary. I don't like LED stage lighting. I never use flash.

Some of what I shoot is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/sbell/albums/72157610367734993

Back in the 70's and 80's I used to shoot a lot of bands at a large local venue using film, 2 x OM1's and HP5 uprated to iso 1600. Shot a lot of new wave and punk bands, and some folk and rock. I used available light and flash. Later the bands management would restrict the use of photography.

Now I shoot a few bands at a small local theatre, and sometimes away from the local area just for fun. I'll position myself up against the PA speakers, often shooting from just behind them across the stage, or sitting on the bottom of steps between the seating facing the front, not obstructing anyones view, that is essential. When at venues I visit in Oxford and Bristol I can shoot from the side of the stage. Lighting is usually challenging, often using iso 6400 with varying shutter speeds, hit rates can vary. I don't like LED stage lighting. I never use flash.

Some of what I shoot is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/sbell/albums/72157610367734993

I can see how you might sometimes be restricted with positioning,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sbell/26545054351/in/album-72157610367734993/

here
http://www.danielcook.com/events/lakuta/
There was a good 3 foot of empty space in front of the stage so I could go to the other side and get a different angle. That was after the band suggested people come forward from the back of the room :D

I've done it from time to time, mainly as a hobby rather than part of my business. I did photograph one group (who are excellent entertainment, btw) at a fairly small pub venue and had a great bar manager who allowed me to put my gear with the staff's gear and even told me it was ok for me to stand on the bar if to get my shots if it got busy. A real dream gig and I even got given a free supper from the band afterwards.

I have done a few gigs, including one at the O2 arena. First bit of advice I would give is hearing protection! Maybe not as important in a pub but in a larger venue can be important.
In clubs they sometimes have a lighting box high up at the back. This can be useful for front on shots over the heads of the audience, but you would need a longer focal length. Some shots of the band in the green room can also be good.
When taking shots of the drummer try using a slower shutter Speed to get some blur in the sticks.
I use a Nikon, in manual with ISO auto and spot metering. To say lighting can be challenging is an understatement, have often shot as high as 25k iso, will be easier though with the fast lenses you have.
Some action shots can be predicted so useful if you have seen the band perform their set before. Rather than talking to the venue you may be better talking to bands manager or tour manager, again this may not apply if its a pub.

Back