Does anyone use a 2 in 1 PC? Looking for advice.

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I'm looking to buy a 2 in 1 tablet/laptop type computer. And I'm looking for advice for using it for graphical applications and photo editing in Tablet mode.
I expect to use a pen or stylus to replace the precise mouse pointer control. But I will still need to zoom, pan and use shortcut keys.
I can set up gestures to cover shortcut commands in most applications, and, depending on the application, can pan using the pen.
Currently I zoom smoothly with the mouse wheel. Is there an easy way to zoom without the mouse?
Thanks
Ian
lenovo-yoga-920-header.jpg

Last edited:
Not in general, as far as I know (I have a Surface Pro 3), but zooming within an app depends on the app itself. I use ON1 Photo Raw 2018 and you can change the size of the thumbnails in Browse mode or the image in other modes by dragging a slider. There's also a View tool which you can use to click the image to switch between Fit view and 100% view. Lightroom (at least version 4.4, which I have) and Photoshop Elements (and presumably Photoshop) are similar. So, even if you have a very steady hand, smooth zooming isn't always possible.

As for panning, unless there's a specific Pan tool (such as Photoshop's Hand) you'll probably need to use the standard method of holding down the Space key while clicking and dragging with the pen. Note that Windows pop-up virtual keyboard can be used for a lot of things, such as Shift-clicking - bring up the keyboard, click the Shift key, close the keyboard, click on something. And if you have Sticky Keys on in Windows, it's possible to bring up the keyboard, click Space, close the keyboard, drag the image around, and so on.

It possibly all seems like too much bother at the moment (it did with me when I first used it) but I now find that I can process a number of photos quicker on my Surface Pro 3 than I can on my PC. Partly because it's just faster to click and drag a slider than it is to move the mouse to the slider first.

There are apps that give you a toolbar overlaid on the screen that you can set up with keyboard and other macros, such as Toolbar Creator, which you can find here. You can move it, resize it, and temporarily hide it while you're working. I found out about it when looking for a solution while making music in a digital audio workstation here where you can Toollbar Creator at work in the video.

I would recommend finding someone near you who has one you can try out (PC shop, maybe) before committing large amounts of money.

Thanks Garry. Interesting. Shift-clicking sounds clunky with the pop up keyboard.
I've panned with the second pen button on a graphics tablet. so that could work.
I've also zoomed with the pen whilst holding the zoom key and moving the pen up or down on a mainframe.
Maybe it all hangs on the special utilities that I can find. Or maybe find a way for the left hand to control some device button, while the right hand operates the pen is the way to go.

You need to buy a proper device such as the Wacom Mobile Studio

You need to buy a proper device such as the Wacom Mobile Studio
That's a lot of money for something that will be used in a casual, non-pro context. The side buttons look nice. But it's a lot of money just for some buttons. And they still might not work my apps.

Last edited:
That's a lot of money for something that will be used in a casual, non-pro context. The side buttons look nice. But it's a lot of money just for some buttons. And they still might not work my apps.

Sorry I forget not everyone is a professional sometimes, but those buttons are totally programmable, I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't work with your applications. You can also get an accessory to add more programmable buttons, plus of course you have a proper Bluetooth keyboard capability as well.

Will still be a lot of money but my advice is wait for the new xps 15 2in1 being released soon.

Surface Pro or Surface Book 2 with the Surface Dial, perfection!

Surface Pro or Surface Book 2 with the Surface Dial, perfection!
In the MS video for the Surface dial I could see the lady zoomed with a finger pinch. So It doesn't quite do it all.
Also the dial needs a surface to rest on. So possibly not really a mobile solution. I could just as well plug a mouse with a scroll wheel in.
Also it's a little too close to Microsoft, who aren't very open, to be sure it'll be supported by all the necessary applications.

Last edited:
In the MS video for the Surface dial I could see the lady zoomed with a finger pinch. So It doesn't quite do it all.
Also the dial needs a surface to rest on. So possibly not really a mobile solution. I could just as well plug a mouse with a scroll wheel in.
Also it's a little too close to Microsoft, who aren't very open, to be sure it'll be supported by all the necessary applications.

We have them at work with SB2's, and yes there are limitations if you are not using a Surface Pro/SB2 or Surface Studio as the on-screen interaction doesn't function. However if you are using it with one of the listed devices it's ridiculously good to use

See zooming at 1:16 in the following video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1rmCBvXeg0

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4023434/surface-apps-that-work-with-surface-dial

Last edited:
We have them at work with SB2's, and yes there are limitations if you are not using a Surface Pro/SB2 or Surface Studio as the on-screen interaction doesn't function. However if you are using it with one of the listed devices it's ridiculously good to use
See zooming at 1:16 in the following video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1rmCBvXeg0
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4023434/surface-apps-that-work-with-surface-dial
Thanks. Yes. I've used various dials in the past. It's great for productivity to use 2 hands instead of overloading one hand. But still a mouse wheel is sure to be compatible with more applications than the handful listed on their website. And also the limited choice of PCs and probably no PC with a sensible price.

Last edited:
Back