Does anyone use a trolley to cart their gear around.

Les McLean

In Memoriam
Name
Les
Edit My Images
Yes
After todays stroll along the river with the dogs, carrying a big lens/camera, it got me thinking about the trollies fishermen use to carry their fishing gear around with them.
Does anyone use anything like this? and if so, are they any good?

trolley.JPG

Obviously not for a single body/lens, but if you are taking a load of gear along, it could be a worthwhile investment?

Dont see why not :) Itd probably save my back a lot...but Im usually crawling through wooded areas so wouldn't be much cop for me :(

Does anyone use anything like this? and if so, are they any good?

Standard part of the kit that goes in the car when I'm packing to go location. It's been a godsend on many occasions and a damn sight cheaper than taking an assistant. ;)

I would think it's a very good idea if you know that the location you are visiting is accessible for a trolley.

Problem is the wheels are small so difficult over anything but smooth ground

I see what you mean, although the angling trolleys have large pneumatic wheels, so should be easier over difficult ground.

I knew that was coming ;) :)

Glad not to disappoint (y)

But just how much weight are we talking about? My 'normal' tackle is about 20lbs plus a tripod, another 7lbs

As I'm already 40lbs overweight - I don't consider this much - and if the diet ever works (i.e. I keep to it) I'll not notice the difference anyway

Are Canons THAT heavy you need a trolley?

Glad not to disappoint (y)

But just how much weight are we talking about? My 'normal' tackle is about 20lbs plus a tripod, another 7lbs

As I'm already 40lbs overweight - I don't consider this much - and if the diet ever works (i.e. I keep to it) I'll not notice the difference anyway

Just weighed my 1Ds + Sigma 120-300 and comes to over 9lb , add a tripod and a couple more lenses, and not far short of 20lb

If you have enough of anything it gets heavy I guess. ;)

When I use the trolley it carries a good 3 or 4 trips worth of stuff but that's not far off a full studio going on location.

I had actually been thinking of a trolley the other day as I lugged quite a few kg of equipment to a shoot.

You want to be careful if you get one of those you don't get labelled a Trolley Dolly!!!

One of my friends has a camera bag with a pull out handle and wheels. Trouble is if you go over rough or uneven ground it has a tendenacy to flip over. Wouldn't have been any good at muddy Whipsnade in January!

You want to be careful if you get one of those you don't get labelled a Trolley Dolly!!!

Compared to some of the things I have been called, a 'Trolley Dolly' is quite a compliment ;) :)

That would be really good

King of Groove - I see what you are saying but why not make the wheels stick out more so it won't tip over? :D

Got one-all I need is a couple of bungee cords

b3.jpg
b2.jpg
b1.jpg

This is clearly a sign that you carry around WAY too much stuff!

:thumbsdown:Not much good for climbing up a mountain with.

No, I know, don't intent to use it whan traipsing the Dales, when I only take a couple of lenses (wideangle) and a tripod.

If you get a plastic crate from B&Q and drill a couple of holes in the bottom you could mount the crate on the trolley. A couple of wingnuts so you can remove it for transport and you don't need the mudflaps. Turn into a handy seat too. Blue Peter here we come!

I always wonder about these, I have looked at this option many times, I have an option of many different Peli Cases (becuase we have loads of different Peli's for work purposes) however I have always thought to put all my Lowepro / Tamrac / Billingham whatever kit in one place is a bit dodgy, I have thought about buying a travel suitcase of good quality and putting my kit into this, I have pleanty of foam from the Peli's.

I have even looked at something like The North Face rolling thunder bag, which has the added advantage of being extremely durable, I have 2 of their bags made of the same material and they have been "around" a bit(y).

The larger wheels are a major plus especially if you are hauling it x country to a hide or location, so I can see the benefit of the fishing cart.

Gave it a 'test drive' today, fairly gentle walk (5.5 miles) around Harewood Estate, carrying 25lbs gear (body+2 big lenses, tripod, TC's and bag).

All hills were fairly easy-no scrambles, paths reasonably even with odd muddy, well rutted tracks.

Trolley coped very well with everything that was thrown at it, expandable axle makes it very stable and at no time did I feel it would roll over. Pneumatic tyres meant the gear didn't bounce around at all, adjustable vertical handle meant getting a comfortable walking position was easy.

Found I could lift over styles quite easy, but kissing gates caused a couple of problems.

All in all a worthwhile investment of £35 :), all I need now is to sort out a harness so Jack and Jess can pull it up-hill ;)

NB, went to buy a bungee cord for it this morning, and the shop had put the wrong amount on the price label-I saved £1.39-just how lucky is that :) :) :)

My "I want to be like Les" plan is continuing. I now too have a trolley. Means I should be able to carry more heavy lenses around when I need to.

Thanks for the idea!

Paul

I looked at that but didn't think the small wheels would help off road. Wanted bigger wheels and pneumatic tyres. I've tried my Peli 1510 and it really is poor when not on a firm surface.

Planning to give it a whirl at Pensthorpe on Saturday

Paul

Paul,

I'll post again with feedback once I've used it in anger..

I agree about the wheels, have been looking for rubber ones, especially as I don't fancy wheeling my stuff along at 5am and waking neighbours up...

Cheers

Gave it a 'test drive' today, fairly gentle walk (5.5 miles) around Harewood Estate, carrying 25lbs gear (body+2 big lenses, tripod, TC's and bag).

All hills were fairly easy-no scrambles, paths reasonably even with odd muddy, well rutted tracks.

Trolley coped very well with everything that was thrown at it, expandable axle makes it very stable and at no time did I feel it would roll over. Pneumatic tyres meant the gear didn't bounce around at all, adjustable vertical handle meant getting a comfortable walking position was easy.

Found I could lift over styles quite easy, but kissing gates caused a couple of problems.

All in all a worthwhile investment of £35 :), all I need now is to sort out a harness so Jack and Jess can pull it up-hill ;)

NB, went to buy a bungee cord for it this morning, and the shop had put the wrong amount on the price label-I saved £1.39-just how lucky is that :) :) :)

@Les McLean Hi Les, dragging up an old thread as I've been thinking of getting a fishing trolley. Did you continue to get on well with yours?

Holy Thread Revival Batman!! :)

Back