Does anyone use trail cams to find the best places to shoot?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a big fan of B&W photography and shoot with a Canon 50D. I recently started exploring wildlife and IR night photography and got a couple nice trail cams for the garden but I was looking to set them up in hedgerows and woodland where I shoot but it occurred to me, can I freely setup trail cams away from where people walk? I've had a look at laws on filming with wildlife cams but all I can find is about CCTV systems.

The risk you run is someone spotting you placing a trail cam and then stealing it :)

I shoot mostly wildlife and RSPB or WWT reserves are a good place to start IMHO Landowners can be a little annoyed if people wander over their land will nilly

My images can be seen here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/184767280@N02/

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting question.

As I perceive it......if you are talking about private land with public access, then I surmise that you may well need the land owners permission?

How is your fieldcraft, as in placing trail cams randomly will likely not benefit you. So have seen signs of the various creatures that indicates where placing the camera could be worthwhile?

Hi, don't use one but do what I did, found a wood on farmland and approached the farmer, they can only say yes or no and if you explain what you want to do they would probably not mind. Russ.

I use one down at a farm where I introduced myself to the owners. My main issue is not setting them up correctly so I get back to an empty card and flat batteries!

I've just got a new (old) G3 as the Cannon was a bargain basement camera that somehow had a lens stuck on, it looked like there may have been some type of adhesive on there maybe because the previous person had broken the mount. Now I can change lenses on this camera I'm excited to go up to an RSBP reserve I got permission for, it's a massive place so I'm gonna have to spend time scouting out the area to see where the best placement options are.

I actually struggle to find who owns farmland but I think for now this conservation area will be enough to explore for a while!

Thanks folks.

Fantastic pics, Les! What is your setup?
I shoot with a Sony a7Riv ( I have 2 of these) and Sony 200-600mm + Sony 100-400mm for wildlife :) plus around 7 or 8 other lenses for various application

Last edited by a moderator:
Back