Does anyone with the 17-40.......

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Do any of you 17-40 L owners use the supplied hood or the Canon EW-83D II hood on the lens?

A wee while ago I was going to buy the 83D-II hood but then I had a think about it and decided to leave it and change my shooting style, Well today, all that changed. I was on the the pontcysyllte aquaduct today and couldn't get the shot I wanted down the valley because of the low sun causing lens flare from hell.

Does anyone have any experience with it, I don't want to shell out a load of cash on a hood if it'll not do the job as it looks very similar to the supplied hood.

:whistle2:

I have the stock supplied hood with my 17-40L and I like to use it most of the time. The bad news from a flare point of view is that I don't think it actually does much if anything on a crop sensor camera, but I could be wrong.

I like to use a lens hood in preference to a filter to safeguard the front element from bumping into things.

CT it's because of the crop factor i'm needing the lens hood from a different hood.

i could use a rubber universal job.......but hey.....this is L series, i want to see that lil red ring :laugh1:

digitalfailure said:
Do any of you 17-40 L owners use the supplied hood or the Canon EW-83D II hood on the lens?

A wee while ago I was going to buy the 83D-II hood but then I had a think about it and decided to leave it and change my shooting style, Well today, all that changed. I was on the the pontcysyllte aquaduct today and couldn't get the shot I wanted down the valley because of the low sun causing lens flare from hell.

Does anyone have any experience with it, I don't want to shell out a load of cash on a hood if it'll not do the job as it looks very similar to the supplied hood.

:whistle2:

I use the supplied lens hood for the very reasons CT mentioned. Would rather the hood gets knocked/scratched than the lens. What are the main difference's between the supplied hood and the one you considered buying ??
I use mine on my 20D and TBH don't notice any problems even when wide open.

The reason I want to use a different hood on the 17-40 is because the supplied one still allows flare.

The other hood still appears to be a pettle type.

I keep a UV filter on the front to prevent damage to the front element of the lens.

I use the supplied hood, but then I didn't know there was another hood.:confused-

digitalfailure said:
The reason I want to use a different hood on the 17-40 is because the supplied one still allows flare.

The other hood still appears to be a pettle type.

I keep a UV filter on the front to prevent damage to the front element of the lens.

Yea I use a UV filter too, but I still like the hood being on for when you need to put the camera down on a hard surface - the underside of the lens doesn't touch anything then.

Not noticed the 'still allows flare' problem though, thing is unless you have some kind of bucket at the end of your lens at 17mm I imagine you'll always be susceptable to a bit of the dreaded flare ?? :suspect1:

If you do get to try another hood though please let us know how it is........

The Canon EW-83DII from the 24mm 1.4 L is better apparently, as long as you are using a 1.6 X body.

Not cheap though for a piece of plastic, about £40 amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...17991/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/202-8081802-3198216

or the usual ebay sellers :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EW-83DI...70433QQcategoryZ29982QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Certainly looks better than the 'saucer' that is supplied with the 17-40.

Not tried one myself yet, so who is going to order one :) ?

edited to ad,

How about a proper bellows shade such as Lee
http://www.tyi.ca/SalesOrdersHoods.htm

A bit spendy though !

Mark.

Your right about the model of hood to use and your right again about it being a heck of a lot of money for a piece of plastic.

I don't have an account at the online auction site you mentioned, and i don't want to pay 2x the cost in a uk shop :banghead:

What I do need though is a hood that works on this lens, I suffered some terrible flare problems at the weekend which have ruined some otherwise stunning images. :hissyfit:

Mr THX said:
Not noticed the 'still allows flare' problem though, thing is unless you have some kind of bucket at the end of your lens at 17mm I imagine you'll always be susceptable to a bit of the dreaded flare ?? :suspect1:

HAven't really noticed any flare on mine either, even shooting more or less straight into the sun.

If anyone is interested:shrug:

I bought the EW-83DII for a 16-35 but it is so tight to fit and needs some force that I have abandoned that and now use the EW-83H hood which is off the 24-105.

Works fine on a 1DMKII with the 1.3 crop(y)

Here is an article that may help.

http://burren.cx/photo/alternate_hoods.html

So which hood is the safest bet for both the 1D Mk2 and the 20D? :thinking:

Well I'm another using the supplied hood on a 1.3 crop camera and I've never had any outragous flare. In fact I don't recall getting any unless the sun is actually in the shot.

No filter here either, perhaps this could be more a filter than a hood issue. The other thing is it shouldn't mak any difference what camera the lens/hood is on. I know you can extend a bit further on a 1.6 body but the center of the frame should still be protected on a full frame camera.

I do carry a couple of spare hood extentions with me though, just in case I get into flare troube. One on the end of each arm. ;)

CT said:
So which hood is the safest bet for both the 1D Mk2 and the 20D? :thinking:
The EW-83H lens hood from the 24-105 F4 :)

can't you try one of those cut-out-your-own from carrd lens covers, that way you could produce the whole canon range that would fit your lens for about a couple of quid, might be worth a try?

Glen said:
can't you try one of those cut-out-your-own from carrd lens covers, that way you could produce the whole canon range that would fit your lens for about a couple of quid, might be worth a try?
It might be worth doing for general snaps but it wouldn’t look very professional if you turned up at a clients shoot with a piece of cardboard hanging from the front of your lens. :D

might be worth making one just for testing , then you'll know whether to buy the real one or not :)

Well, I've found that most flare is caused by light just outside or close to the centre of the shot.
This is also exagerated by any filters that have been added onto the lens, including the UV.

You should be able to see the flare through the lens before you take the shot
so my advice would be to reposition yourself to control the amount thats getting in.
You could also try blocking the offending light with something that can be
carried in your camera bag.

Back