Does B&W have the same latitude as colour ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

Does black and white film have the same latitude as Colour negative ? Will pushing or pulling by just a stop have a major effect on the look of Black and white or colour for that matter ? I have a Holga and intend to use what film is available cheaply so sometimes I may have to push or pull the film to compensate for light conditions when I am able to use it .

Thanks all

I think it has greater latitude than colour film. Pushing and pulling refers to the development only and is not always appropriate when you expose to another EI.

Hello All,

Does black and white film have the same latitude as Colour negative ? Will pushing or pulling by just a stop have a major effect on the look of Black and white or colour for that matter ? I have a Holga and intend to use what film is available cheaply so sometimes I may have to push or pull the film to compensate for light conditions when I am able to use it .

Thanks all

Push and pull development is always less than optimal when used to compensate for poor light or wrong exposure.
The greatest effect of changing development time is on the contrast of the image... the longer the development the greater the contrast.
as a byproduct it also increases the density especially of the highlights. You also increase the granularity.... It is rarely beneficial.

However establishing your development time within reason can adjust for your own processing conditions and printing techniques and the type of enlarger light. Cold cathode is softer so needs slightly more development than a condenser enlarger.
It is better to increase the exposure with old film as the first step, as it will probably have lost speed. If that does not suffice, only then try to adjust the development. especially if the first negs were very soft as well as underdone.
Good luck.

So I'm best buying a film which works well in the intended conditions and maybe have a couple of cameras loaded with different film for different conditions ( I've convinced myself here and it sounds like a good excuse to buy more cameras !)

Or just have done with the whole problem and get a large format camera so each exposure can be with a different film...

And Terry covered the origiinal question.

So I'm best buying a film which works well in the intended conditions and maybe have a couple of cameras loaded with different film for different conditions ( I've convinced myself here and it sounds like a good excuse to buy more cameras !)

This is why I have more cameras. Yep. Exactly why. Definitely.

Or a RB67 and a load of backs (other interchangeable back cameras are available)

Absolutely. Got one of those too. And three backs!

Back