don't get nasty ……….. it's an honest discussion

The D750 is soooooo good that the D810 must be fantastic

don't discount what they cost from your comments

they are miracles of Japanese innovation

OK film is better but stick to the point

and if you are an "artist" you only need a Trip 35 … but I'm not asking that

Last edited:
No they don't!

I'm interested in the opinions of people who have used both Canon and Nikon. I've been on the cusp of changing from the former to the latter for the last year..

Last edited:
What do you shoot now and what subjects?

Have had a d750 for awhile very good value for money got a d810 today awesome

The 5DS R isn't so far away....win something here and lose something there.

Bob

For DR no. And seem unlikely to in the near future unless they nick some Sony sensors.But thats not all the story is it?

Dynamic range on the canon isn't as good as nikon.....

Depends on what aspect you're asking about. Nikon have considerably better sensors capable of better low light performance and better Dynamic Range (DR of Canon is poor), but some prefer the layout of Canon, and some say they have one or two lenses that are better (matter of opinion).

I'd rather shoot Canon glass on a sub 20mp Canon body, than a 30+mp Nikon body and equivalent piece of glass.

For me it's glass first and body second.

I'd rather shoot Canon glass on a sub 20mp Canon body, than a 30+mp Nikon body and equivalent piece of glass.

I don't think there's much in it to be honest Sam... There's a good spread between everything up in the Loop as you know. Just look at MJ's shots with his D8xx and a 600mm f/4 and also what some of the others get with the Canon gear. Even Robmac and Welshi manage to get a few good ones between them! :D

If Nikon is the system that works for you, then that's great. If I take canon or another brand then that's get some too. Every body will have there best system

Canon v Nikon. Old hat. Boring!!!!

To be honest I think the differences in the glass between these two is so small that the tog will make much more of a difference. I think it boils down to personal preference as to how they render colours, contrast etc.

Nikon certainly has Canon beat in some areas. ISO performance, focus and dynamic range. What has stopped me from switching is the silent shutter on the 5D3 - it's invaluable as a wedding photographer.

Otherwise personal preference for Canon's smother tones.

That's all I've got!

Nikon certainly has Canon beat in some areas. ISO performance, focus and dynamic range. What has stopped me from switching is the silent shutter on the 5D3 - it's invaluable as a wedding photographer.

That's all I've got!

From using a D810 while a mate uses his 5D3 I can tell you thst the D810 is much quieter than the 5D3.

I don't think there's much in it to be honest Sam... There's a good spread between everything up in the Loop as you know. Just look at MJ's shots with his D8xx and a 600mm f/4 and also what some of the others get with the Canon gear. Even Robmac and Welshi manage to get a few good ones between them! :D

Hi Si, absolutely.

I'd say that some of the best photos in that genre have been shot with Nikon gear and I attribute that to the people, not the brand. For me, lens product cycles are far lengthier and more stable than the body market. This is why I'd rather put the money into the best glass I can afford and sit out the latest body wars as that's where the manufacturers make their money.

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I just moved from a Canon 6D (which isn't pro in the way a 5D3 is and certainly not anything like a 1DX) to a Nikon D810. I've been stunned by the amount of customisation options that it has and spent the last two weeks setting it up exactly the way I want. For me that's brilliant as I have all the custom buttons I could possibly want.

The reason for the move was a mix of resolution (large prints), focusing system and I've discovered since how unbelievably clean ISO-64 is. Still have a lot of field testing to do but no regrets with the move yet.

That being said I don't have any long telephoto lens (just the 70-200 f/2.8 VR ll and the 1.4x). Saving now for the 300mm.

That all said I'm sure if a 5D3/6D and a Nikon D750/D810 with the same focal length lens were processed by the same person they would look the same.
Stevie

Last edited:

That's all I've got!

DR ISO yes but focusing not in my experience. At least not on the cameras I've owned.

I've been stunned by the amount of customisation options that it has and spent the last two weeks setting it up exactly the way I want. For me that's brilliant as I have all the custom buttons I could possibly want.

That's what impressed me about the D300 and D2XS that I owned for a very short time.

DR ISO yes but focusing not in my experience. At least not on the cameras I've owned.
Maybe you haven't tried the D750 then?

I have actually, mainly due to the very good reviews it was getting, and I stick to my previous statement. I don't think it's better than mine on AF.

I have actually, mainly due to the very good reviews it was getting, and I stick to my previous statement. I don't think it's better than mine on AF.
Sorry misunderstood, I thought you were saying Canon were better. AF systems on both systems are fantastic. I would like to try the 1DX one day though as the AF on that is supposed to be very impressive.

D750 was very impressive all round. One for the future possibly.

Does it really matter. Are you going to see the slight nuances?

Todays kit is so good you can get a great image with most cameras/brands. Rather than getting hung up on the equipment arms race, concentrate on the final image, not what produced it.

Does it really matter. Are you going to see the slight nuances?

Todays kit is so good you can get a great image with most cameras/brands. Rather than getting hung up on the equipment arms race, concentrate on the final image, not what produced it.

Oh God not another you will be telling me it's "camera-craft" next

or even the man behind the camera

Oh God not another you will be telling me it's "camera-craft" next

or even the man behind the camera
The right kit may assist or help you getting the shot. At times (such as the right focal length lens, right lighting etc) irt's essential.
But really you are talking about very small differences in hardware that probably wont make much difference.

He's probably not using the silent shutter then. The D810 is much louder as is the D750. Not a big deal for most people but I value it :)
The D750 is quite loud to be fair, thankfully I don't shoot weddings ;) The A7's silent shutter would be good for such a scenario.

When I am standing beside a canon user I definately notice that the shutter is quieter than that on my D750 which is a good thing because generally they are ratling off dozens of shots at everything that moves. Sounds like Bhagdad on the first night of the Gulf war every time a bird flies over!;)

Back