Does Digital Photo Professional by Canon keep image integrity?

Name
paul miller
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, I have just resurrected a rather old copy of Digital Photo Professional on my relatively new iMAC (5 months old) because I want to be able to shoot portraits from my 20D and have them instantly come up on my screen (and also save to my external hard drive hooked up to my mac). After much confusion (because I wasn't supplied with a copy of utility viewer which Canon seem to plug as the normal software to communicating with my camera) it turns out that EOS capture runs from WITHIN Digital Photo Professional and I need this to shoot and capture my stills instantaneously. I have now loaded Digital Photo Professional 1.6.1.0 (and EOS capture with it) and it all works perfectly but since there are adjustment controls in the software I have a question. If I don't touch any of the controls within DPP, will my images remain unaltered or will they have undergone some preliminary processing simply by capturing them in DPP in the first place? I don't want outdated software messing my photos with inferior alagorithms and want to get them into Bridge/Photoshop as pure as possible. Thank you.

Paul

Yes maybe but I think it stipulates that I need the EOS utility viewer to run the most up to date Digital Photo Professional software...and I don't think this is free. Regardless, i'm afraid it still doesn't answer the question as to whether the image is completely unaltered simply from the act of importing into Digital Photo Professional, current version or otherwise. Thank you anyway Darryn and thanks for the link too.

Paul

When you capture the images what format options have you got? Surely if you can capture and save them as RAW/CRW/CR2 it will be totally unaltered. Hope that helps a bit more, failing that im sure someone else will have a better suggestion.

Yes thanks Darryn, I see that the file is saved as a CR2 when I then open it in Bridge, after capturing in DPP. I was just thinking that DPP might use different, sub standard alagorithms and leave its interpretation of the image 'stamped' over the file for when Bridge opens it....Probably me worrying too much and being too picky.

cheers

I think you'll find that DPP uses higher standard algorithms than Bridge when converting images.

Also when you use the edit window in DPP to convert a RAW file, it will ask you if you wish to save your changes to the RAW file when you come to close DPP. I always say no and leave the original RAW file un-edited.

You already have a version of DPP, so the upgraded is a free download. Your version is now a long way behind the latest version 3.2.0.4

I think your missing the point of RAW.

You cannot alter a RAW file, the data stays the same, it only tags the metadata with the alterations to the images, these can be saved so when the image is opened in DPP again the settings will be the same as when you last played with them, they can be reset / removed from metadata at any time you wish. Adjustments aplied to metadata on the RAW (CR2) image in DPP will not show up in Bridge or vica versa.

AS for Canon software just download it all from the canon site its all free and you can get the latest versions of DPP.

As for the algorithems if your saving the RAW file through DPP from a tethered camera all your doing is viewing the RAW file the camera has created, If you disable picture styles in DPP and set the RAW conversion controls to their zero settings you will be viewing the file as an unaltered RAW saving it as a RAW to your HDD will not alter it in any way.

Back