Does location matter to you?

Excellent. But on the first photo I would clone out the few leaves top left of the frame
I should have cropped a little more aggressively.:(

It's surprising where you can 'go' on Google. ;)

I should have cropped a little more aggressively.:(

It's surprising where you can 'go' on Google. ;)
(y) I use it a lot for scouting out areas, especially those out of the way parking spots.

I've said before, we can't be too far away from someone creating an application that scrapes together all the available images of popular locations and then lets you create your own "photo" from that without the trouble of leaving home.

(y) I use it a lot for scouting out areas, especially those out of the way parking spots.

I've said before, we can't be too far away from someone creating an application that scrapes together all the available images of popular locations and then lets you create your own "photo" from that without the trouble of leaving home.

Why be hampered by real locations, just create your own "original" photographs of your own "original" locations.

The online software is here:

I think Martin Parr said that "art" photos are anything printed larger than 3 feet by 2 feet. So print it large and present it to with world with sufficient chutzpah and you'll be in.

I rather like it. It makes me think of quarries with puddles, spoil heaps, old buildings and machinery.
Joking aside, that's what I thought too, I know of slate quarries in the Lake District that have that colour palette

I think I might have used the stone or gravel brush. Something rocky anyway. It's actually quite tricky to use because it's quite crude - or maybe reading some instructions might help....

Photography for me is a reason to travel and travelling is a good reason to take photos.

Completely entwined and they coexist quite happily, not sure which I enjoy the most, probably a draw.

However much I love the riverside walk behind our house, I'd love to get out to my beloved Cairngorms National Park or anywhere more than a 5 mile radius from home :(
So I suppose location does matter to me ........ or does it??
Locally I have Otters, Kingfishers, Dippers and some nice riverscapes but its the monotony of being in the same place day after day

However much I love the riverside walk behind our house, I'd love to get out to my beloved Cairngorms National Park or anywhere more than a 5 mile radius from home :(
So I suppose location does matter to me ........ or does it??
Locally I have Otters, Kingfishers, Dippers and some nice riverscapes but its the monotony of being in the same place day after day
We're starting to get like that too. Cherwell valley is lovely, but the stuff nearby all looks very familiar now.

Just musing, does it matter to you where a photograph is shot or is one shot as good as another? For example are you happy to travel to anywhere to get, say, a tree in the mist shot or a good street scene or do you like to shoot what ever you can get in a specific places. Some photos such as certain species can only be shot in specific locations, would you travel just to get the shot or would you not bother preferring to shoot whatever wildlife is in your favorite areas? And why?

I like to create shots wherever I am :)

That said, where I live is a bit s*** for my tastes, so I travel bit to improve my subject - so I like Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and especially the Lake District

What I'm NOT prepared to do is travel to 'amazing' places just to get better photos, so while I LOVE the Lake District (close to where I'm hoping to live soon) I won't travel to Iceland, Canada, Europe, etc. where its 'easier' to get a great shot as the subject itself it more obviously amazing to start with - that to me is 'cheating' - as some places are so obviously great anyone can snap a great shot and no vision or skill is necessarily needed

Dave

What I'm NOT prepared to do is travel to 'amazing' places just to get better photos, so while I LOVE the Lake District (close to where I'm hoping to live soon) I won't travel to Iceland, Canada, Europe, etc. where its 'easier' to get a great shot as the subject itself it more obviously amazing to start with - that to me is 'cheating' - as some places are so obviously great anyone can snap a great shot and no vision or skill is necessarily needed
I think that is close to what I was getting at. I have lived a lot of my life close to the Lakes and I have real connections to it so photos from there have a deeper meaning for me and I am prepared to work harder to get the shots I want there. I do travel and take photos wherever I am but I am not as motivated to process and print those.

I think we're all thinking our local area is getting monotonous, lockdown fever or something particularly as this is about the least photogenic season/weather/conditions for most of us who shoot landscape by preference. I suppose wildlife is wildlife whatever the weather though.

Why be hampered by real locations, just create your own "original" photographs of your own "original" locations.

The online software is here:

I swear Youtube is following me on here! this is the second time in two days that a video relevant to a thread I have posted in on here has popped up on my tubes

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Jle-GFhqo

I swear Youtube is following me on here! this is the second time in two days that a video relevant to a thread I have posted in on here has popped up on my tubes

That is EXTREMELY likely. Did you watch the previous connected video that was suggested or did it suggest this one by 'chance'?

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
I'll be having a more concerted mess around this evening. :)
It's fun for about five minutes. But when it's refined it'll be the future I tell ye!

I used this photo of mine as a starting point...

_7515807.jpg

...and made this.

gravel.jpg

That is EXTREMELY likely. Did you watch the previous connected video that was suggested or did it suggest this one by 'chance'?
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, both are channels I subscribe to and the one above has been hanging around for me to watch for a few days, it's just coincidence that I watched it tonight after @myotis posted the link above.

Monet will be along shortly to collect his commission. ;)

When the software is a bit more refined I suggest redoing it and naming it Rhine III. :exit:
I could easily replace the interesting bits with more grass. ;)

I wish location didn't matter to me, but since I'm not a Photoworks pro yet I can't just take a picture anywhere and make it look as if it was taken at some certain place :ROFLMAO: I'll get there one day, I'm positive about that but right now I have to travel places

We all have to do that Annet - part of having integrity in our pictures. ;)

Yes location does matter, I think its important to the style of images I take for my clients.

For me, I like to have flexibility so any locations will do fine, unless I need a specific subject which can be found at a specific location.

I take photos where I am going hiking. If you plan a certain trip and fail to get shots you wanted you can be left disappointed, if your just out walking and happen to take some good photos, great. Take no shots and it's not a wasted trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Back