Does my 5D3 have a problem?

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently purchased a 5D3, and I have noticed some banding/colour cast problems.
Indoors under flourescent lights I get a green colour band that moves down the image as the sequence of shots are displayed. Outdoors I have seen a megenta colour band when photographing a small bird against a large expanse of sky, the banding is in the sky.
The indoor shots were taken using the silent shutter option, 1/400 or 1/500 plus auto Iso. I've tried non silent shutter and a different shutter speed but still get the problem. Tbh I'm more concerned about the outdoors as I appreciate AWB might get thrown off under strip lights, but I would have thought even that would be a complete colour shift not a band. I have tried different lenses and a different card but the proble persists.

Shots added - fairly low res/size - so not really representative of the camera/lens' (24/70 f2.8L) ability - added to give an idea where the problem is apparent.

My guess is the camera has a fault and I will need to get it replaced, its only 3 weeks old.

Any suggestions?

Banding

Banding

Looks ok

Last edited:
The issue you've described with shooting in fluorescent lighting is completely normal and well documented (e.g. here). Fluorescent lights do not provide constant illumination - they flicker based on the mains frequency. The problem here is that you're using too high a shutter speed - you're catching the fluorescent tube mid-flicker, which causes the banding artifacts you've described.

I'm not sure what's going on with the image taken outdoors you've described - could you post an example? My money would be on lens flare ;)

A.

Last edited:
The issue you've described with shooting in fluorescent lighting is completely normal and well documented (e.g. here). Fluorescent lights do not provide constant illumination - they flicker based on the mains frequency. The problem here is that you're using too high a shutter speed - you're catching the fluorescent tube mid-flicker, which causes the banding artifacts you've described.

I'm not sure what's going on with the image taken outdoors you've described - could you post an example? My money would be on lens flare ;)

A.

^^^ This.

I think if you shoot at 1/125 indoors under those lighting conditions it should eliminate the banding.

The SS needs to be slower than the electrical frequency supplying the bulbs...I believe that's 50hz for most of you (60hz here) so the SS needs to be 1/50 or less...

The color banding of the sky is a different issue and my first suspect would be a filter of some type.

Doh!!!
damn modern high-end digitals, shoot so clean at high Iso its so easy to use a faster shutter speed than we used to use with film cameras (or even my 5D1).
Thanks guys, tried a slower shutter speed and all has returned to perfection.

I really didnt want to return the camera as I had fallen in love with it apart from this issue.

I'll check what filter I have on my 70/200 and see if its that causing the problem, tbh I doubt it was lens flare (again I could be proven wrong of course :) ) as I have a high quality one fitted, but maybe I should just leave it off, I always have the lens hood mounted.

Be prepared for lots more stupid questions on how to get the best out of my camera.

Thanks again.
Matt

Back