Does price equal quality?

Edit My Images
No
One of my flash guns has just died and looking for a replacement ttl flashgun and the vast differences in cost, I'm asking myself if the higher price for the top "branded" goods is actually worth it.

I'm not talking about bodys and lenses which I would never even consider purchasing anything but top quality gear, but about accessory bits like flash guns, triggers, tripods etc etc

I own a few cheap items that i have purchased to try before I spend big money on the top notch stuff and have to say its not actually that bad

Just interested in others thoughts on it

Put simply YES

I had a Canon 430EX2 but lost it in a recent car crash...as I cannot afford a replacement currently I've brought a cheaper 3rd party to tide me over...the canon was much higher quality of finish/construction...same with my battery grips I've a very good 3rd party on my 450D and it's perfectly good...but the Canon one on my 5D3 is better built :)

I remain I convinced its worth paying for canon branded triggers but that is the only accessory I can think of that its really not worth the premium...what is interesting is you mention not buying lens yet some non oem lens are recognised for there quality ;)

With lenses I'm refering to top branded gear eg. TAMRON etc. When I'm talking cheap I mean chinese junk like youngnuo and wansen etc.

I'm more interested in peoples views on the cheaper end of the market after sifting through hundreds of variations of the same thing :)

I'm not sure I'd class youngnuo items as "chinese junk". I have a pair of youngnuo wireless flash triggers. They seem well made and reviews and comments I've seen are all positive.

I'm not sure I'd class youngnuo items as "chinese junk". I have a pair of youngnuo wireless flash triggers. They seem well made and reviews and comments I've seen are all positive.

I agree. In addition to some youngnuo triggers (which I've been extremely happy with), I have both a Canon 580EXII and whatever Youngnuo call their very similarly named version. Look and feel is similar but it depends on your needs it may well be that the higher priced ones are overkill and you don't require all the features - robustness, ETTL, power output, recharge time, UK warranty, near-guaranteed consistency etc all have a price. Best advice is to evaluate what you need, and look at reviews of items that have the features you need, some cheap items are tat whilst others are very well reviewed and give wonderful value for money.

Jeff.

I have a Yongnuo 560-II flashgun - it's manual only (They do other models with TTL for Canon / Nikon) but seems very well built.
Controls are good, the head tilts / rotates with a very positive action - it stays where you've adjusted it to, but does not need 'excessive' force to adjust.
I would not hesitate to recommend them as a manufacturer.

With lenses I'm refering to top branded gear eg. TAMRON etc. When I'm talking cheap I mean chinese junk like youngnuo and wansen etc.

I'm more interested in peoples views on the cheaper end of the market after sifting through hundreds of variations of the same thing :)

Yongnuo - Cheap and Chinese, yes. Junk, no.

I have a number of flashguns, both Nikon and the Yungnuo ones.
When using multiple flashes, I shoot them on manual,
and the cheap flashes are fine for that.
I couldn't afford to buy 4 or 5 Nikon Sb800 or 900s, so I bought the cheapies. They are all fired with Yungnuo triggers, and work perfectly.
If 1 were to explode/die/stop working, I can replace without worrying about the cost, I would worry about the cost of the Nikon units.
Obviously if I want to use fully automatic CLS flash setup, then I would use the Nikons, but on manual, (ie 95% of the time), the "cheapies" work well.
Yes, you get what you pay for, but the chinese clones are 25% of the cost of the Nikon Speedlights, so I can buy 4 for the cost of 1 Nikon, and so far, they haven't let me down.

As for quality, the Nikons are better built (not by much though), but the light that comes out when you press the shutter release is just as good from both.
You can't tell which ones I used in any of the pictures I've taken.

Brilliant replies guys cheers I've actualy got 2 yn560 flash guns and I started with yn triggers and I cant actualy fault the flash guns but the triggers were a nightmare, sometimes they worked perfect then other times one would just decide it didn't want to play.
Which is exactly why I asked this forum:)

Everyone is honest and lets you know your exact feelings on things

Thanks again guys I may not be replacing my canon ttl flash with a another canon and save myself a few quid

Back