Does Sigma 150mm Macro work with 2x convertor ?

DJW

Edit My Images
Yes
OK, trying to kill 3 birds with one stone with the next lens.

Idea is to get the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG APO HSM Macro Lens. This will cover Macro work plus give me a 150mm telephoto. Now the thought is to use a 2x convertor to give me a 300mm also :) (albeit 2 stops slower)

Looking at prices I'm swayed towards Sigma 2x EX DG APO Teleconverter. But from what I can read I'm not sure if AF still works or not. I have statements of lens must be f/2.8 or less for AF to work with Sigma convertor, but not guarenteed :nut: :(

Any of you Sigma 150mm owners use a 2x convertor OK ?

Why not use the Kenko convertor, they are excellent quality and AF will still work ;)

I assume you state that because saves another £25 :thumb: , with same functionality ?

I state that because the quality of said item is known (well the 1.4x) and how it functions. If it saves you another £25 you can donate it to the Photography Forums fund, we graciously accept all donations ;)

On Canon the AF works upto and including F5.6 unless you are using a Pro body were it will work at F8. Assuming Nikon to be the same then the Kenko will work with no issues.

Steve said:
If it saves you another £25 you can donate it to the Photography Forums fund, we graciously accept all donations ;)
:laugh1: :laugh1: . Cheers Steve.....I know the fund would prefer some example shots from new kit, which I will of course offer instead of that horrible stuff called money ;) :p

DJW said:
:laugh1: :laugh1: . Cheers Steve.....I know the fund would prefer some example shots from new kit, which I will of course offer instead of that horrible stuff called money ;) :p

Hey, we will even accept donations of belly button fluff, Marcel loves the stuff. He has collected several tones of it now and made a rather comfy looking chair in the corner which we are not allowed near. :hissyfit:

Excellent :) . Just found a good link for compatibility of teleconvertors here .

There is a cheap Nikon fit Kenko MC7 2x convertor on fleabay
From the 1st link it shows its MF only on HSM Sigma lenses, but AF on Nikon & Sigma AF lenses. Shame the Sigma I just bought & considering are both HSM .

Dave, go for the pro series TC's from Kenco.
This item has higher quality glass, and performs as well as the manufacturers models.

Matt said:
Dave, go for the pro series TC's from Kenco.
This item has higher quality glass, and performs as well as the manufacturers models.

Makes sense ....cheers :)

BTW, has anyone any shots from the Sigma 150mm used with a 2x convertor ? Just curious :whistle2:

Also does anyone have an opinion on any downsides of 150mm x2 = 300mm vs other options (other than light loss ?) .....just in case I've overlooked anything. I'm not worried about zoom capability, so can cope with crops or having to move to get the shot I want.

Dave, I bought the Sigma 150 2.8 Macro a couple of months back and I'm very impressed.
I've just been messing about, trying the different options for macro.......tubes, flash and thought I might have a try with a cheap Teleplus 2xTC I bought a few years ago.
Works great, the images are sharp with nice contrast.
I was very pleased since my only other TC's are Canon and won't fit.

I don't have any shots to hand at the minute but I'll post some on Tuesday, if that's not too late.
( Monday is the works Christmas :beer: :beer: :beer: Sorry)

Very kind of you Garnock & fine with the timing as I'd hate for the boozy blur to be blamed on the lens ;) Have a good
DJ.gif

Better than when I tried to phone my missus for a lift after 12hrs Xmas drinking, to find I couldn't even speak.....well understandably anyway ;)

DJW said:
BTW, has anyone any shots from the Sigma 150mm used with a 2x convertor ? Just curious :whistle2:

Dave. I have the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG APO HSM Macro and can verify that genuine Canon converters will physically not fit this lens.. :hand:

I too was going to buy a Sigma converter but thinking about it I will use it at 150mm and leave it for now.. :)

busterboy said:
Dave. I have the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG APO HSM Macro and can verify that genuine Canon converters will physically not fit this lens.. :hand:

That's OK, as the Canon convertor wouldn't fit my Nikon D70 ;) :D .
Seriously though, shows one has to be careful with choice of teleconvertor :suspect1:

DJW said:
That's OK, as the Canon convertor wouldn't fit my Nikon D70 ;) :D .
Seriously though, shows one has to be careful with choice of teleconvertor :suspect1:

You know Dave I read your original post and it never mentioned Nikon once.. :confused:

Then again I thought everybody had a Canon.. :laugh1:

I admit, I was dreaming Dave.. :getmecoat

Always use Nikon Lenses and Nikon converters...
In fact always use Nikons, full stop.

Canons are just wrong - big plastic horrible things that look as though they're made of Lexus bumpers and old tyres...
Their lenses are made of milk bottles, I tell you...!!!

Arkady said:
Always use Nikon Lenses and Nikon converters...
In fact always use Nikons, full stop.

Canons are just wrong - big plastic horrible things that look as though they're made of Lexus bumpers and old tyres...
Their lenses are made of milk bottles, I tell you...!!!

I love it when professionals get it wrong :smilenod:

Cheers Garnock :) I thought they were meteorites at first ;)

Any chance of a telephoto shot (eg. non macro) that would show off sharpness (possible brick building etc) ? plus bokeh . Not asking much am I :exit: ;)

DJW said:
Cheers Garnock :) I thought they were meteorites at first ;)

Any chance of a telephoto shot (eg. non macro) that would show off sharpness (possible brick building etc) ? plus bokeh . Not asking much am I :exit: ;)

No probs but I won't see daylight again till Friday. ( 12 hour shifts Wed & Thu ) :hissyfit:

If weather permits I'll post a shot with the above combo and the same shot using a Canon 300f4 prime for comparison.
Don't take this the wrong way but I hope there's a noticable difference or I've wasted 900 squid on the prime. :banghead:

Cameron

Your a gent Sir :)....but I just hope I can accept difference as my bank balance can't ;)

Dave, as promised a tele comparison of the Sigma 150 f2.8 macro with 2xTCon and Canon 300f4 L.
Set up;
Tripod .... mirror lock .... cable release .....f8 ..... ISO 100 .... no filters .... AF.
The images are 100% crops from original RAW files with zero processing in PS. Basically straight out of the camera with standard RAW defaults in both shots.
The subject is a wooden panel fence.

Sigma 150 plus 2xTCon:
Sigma-f8.jpg

Canon 300 F4L Prime:
Canon-f8.jpg

To my eye there is a slight difference in contrast and sharpness ( which would be expected ) but after running the images through PS with some levels, colour balance and USM I believe the Sigma plus TC to be very acceptable. With the Sigma TC I'm sure it would be better still.
Sorry Dave, I forgot about the bokeh :doh: :banghead: .
Having said that the Sigma has 9 diaphragm blades so bokeh should be good.
The Sigma 180 also has 9 diaphragm blades and the bokeh was praised in a recent magazine.

Have a look these customer reviews ( if you haven't already )
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=280&sort=7&cat=38&page=1

Hope this helps,
Cameron

Thanks for all that Cameron....most kind of you. Canon lens is defintely better, but for the money the Sigma looks very good for Macro, 150mm & 300mm . There goes the credit card again ;)

Back