Does this count as photography equipment?

I'm on my third camper van now. first was a little Renault single bed jobbie, second a Romahome on a Citoen C15, and now a VW T5 conversion; I've had the latter for about eight years and it's still going strong (fingers crossed).

Couldn't do what I do without it.

Steven, I don't know if you're genuinely going to go for the paint job in that photo, but I think it would stand out a mile almost anywhere. That's just not camouflage.:(

You'll love the van when its finished.

Steven, I don't know if you're genuinely going to go for the paint job in that photo, but I think it would stand out a mile almost anywhere. That's just not camouflage.:(
I doub't I'll go for anything that showy... Part of the reason for the van is "impromptu camping" without drawing attention.

It's a hiace. UK had a different hiace. We don't have the cab over designs like the have in Japan more the pitty.

the uk Hiace is basically a van the import version was called the granvia ( 7 seater mpv ) i think the one in woof woof's photo is a version of the Alphard

iv'e had a couple of the jap MPV imports and there great but most of them are quite heavy on fuel which is one of the reasons we don't own one today

although not strictly an import ( they do an import of the same model )it was the last one we owned

before that it was the Granvia

and the first we owned was the lucida 4 wheel drive

allways liked the look of the Mitsubishi Delica they look like they will go anywhere

the uk Hiace is basically a van the import version was called the granvia ( 7 seater mpv ) i think the one in woof woof's photo is a version of the Alphard

It may well be but I still haven't found a picture of one exactly like it.

The picture you posted it's been heavily modified particular the front end with bonnet scoop and new bumper.

It's very possible it's been modified by a Thai company.

My GF is Thai and has hired this guy for the last couple of visits so if she does so again I'll look at the badges and quiz the owner :D

That's a very expensive option! Do you need all the bells and whistles it comes with?

A few friends have older VW campers and they have had a few reliability issues. We want to use it for trips round the uk initially and then abroad eventually.

A friend works for VW so we had a really good look at them.

But yes. Eye watering is an understatement.

That's a very expensive option! Do you need all the bells and whistles it comes with?

And to answer your actual question, as opposed to the waffling (!), I did look at one with all the bells and whistles. After i had been resuscitated and rechecked the price, we had substantially fewer bells and whistles!!

It definitely is photography related!

We have done a very similar thing mainly for photography trips travelling around the UK. Ours is a bit bigger though, a LWB Renault Master, ex welfare van (you can still see ambulance where the stickers were!)

Very much done on a budget but comfortable, and will be warm for winter too with the heater we bought this weekend at the Motorhome show at the NEC!

It's still a work in progress but so far has cost less than a 5D Mk iV!

And to answer your actual question, as opposed to the waffling (!), I did look at one with all the bells and whistles. After i had been resuscitated and rechecked the price, we had substantially fewer bells and whistles!!

I did mine on the (relative) cheap. it's a secondhand T5 with a new conversion inside. Still going strong after 8 years. Let me know if you'd like any more info!

There are are tax (VAT) advantages to doing it this way rather than buying a secondhand camper. It may not be relavant to you but if you're (one is) VAT registered you can save a few £K doing it this way.

I did mine on the (relative) cheap. it's a secondhand T5 with a new conversion inside. Still going strong after 8 years. Let me know if you'd like any more info!

There are are tax (VAT) advantages to doing it this way rather than buying a secondhand camper. It may not be relavant to you but if you're (one is) VAT registered you can save a few £K doing it this way.

Thanks for the offer - we have bitten the bullet though and it's ordered[emoji85]

They're a long term investment and don't tend to depreciate too much!

Ok, this isn't going to be up to the standards being set by some of these vans... But here's my basic kit for overnights/weekends. The idea of this van is to have the ability to go pretty much anywhere in any weather, and be able to stay over a few w/o suffering.

DSCF2554.jpg

In the box is : Full size "8 day" cooler, Dishes, Pot's/Pans/Coffee Pot, 2 Burner Stove, 10lb Propane Bottle, 2x 2.5 gal water jugs (one filtered), Small sink basin, Dry foods. The stove can be mounted on it's own legs outside if desired. The mat is a 4" foam self inflating type. The bed frame is mounted to the box. The box is made to just lift out so the van can be used for cargo as needed (the Ducati will fit in there but the BMW won't :( )

DSCF2558.jpg

This is with the bed extended (30" x 73").

DSCF2553.jpg
This is the interior w/ bed folded. 2 swivel captains chairs... I have camo netting for the opening and a long WindowRail Camera support that hangs from the roof gutter (or I could set up a tripod/monopod). That's a large pelican case cabled to the floor holding 2 bodies and 3 large lenses... but it takes up a lot of space so it won't usually be in there (backpack type bags instead and maybe my small pelican "lens case" as well). With the bed partially extended it makes a table, and fully extended I can still sit in this chair if I don't want to lie down.

I also have a 9'x7' canopy for the side... next up will be some mosquito netting for the windows/openings for hot weather sleeping (won't be needing that for a while).

i've got a beaten up old T4 that i use for weekends away during the summer months. unfortunately i take so much junk in my van i usually end up sleeping in a tent next to it :thinking:

Back