does this count as 'street' photography ?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
i've been out with my x100s a lot recently, kinda trying to get into 'street' photography a bit, and getting used to thecamera, i to this on todays outing, shot 'from the hip' i suppose (i'm in a wheelchair so, hmm...) its straight out of the camera, i shoot raw then convertto jpeg internally later, seems to get the best results.

but does this count as street photography?

_DSF2885 by Adam Malcolm, on Flickr

Yes, its just not very good street photography :)

definitely qualifies though

I wonder what makes for very good street photography?
As I'm no expert on the definition of 'street' I figured I could chip in with the obvious answer.

'Very good' photography generally has 3 ingredients done well:
  • Lighting should compliment or emphasise the subject
  • Composition which draws your eye to the subject or around the picture
  • Capturing a story, telling us something about the subject

That's the same whether 'street' or landscape, Motorsport or wildlife.

The subjects are a bit small in the frame, but when you look closer, I'm wondering what the main girl is looking at out the window, and I'm wondering what the guy who is watching her, is thinking.
So I think it would work if it was cropped differently.

Surely the main subject is the man watching the girl in the foreground? The image is too small for this to be very clear.

Surely the main subject is the man watching the girl in the foreground? The image is too small for this to be very clear.
If you look at the full size image, he's not actually looking at her, it looks like he's staring into space as well.

If you look at the full size image, he's not actually looking at her, it looks like he's staring into space as well.

Agreed, I think it actually looks a lonely place, the guy looks very unhappy to me. Maybe a tighter wide-landscape crop with the 3 subjects centered on the man.

I see what you mean but looking at the full size image I think "why is he not looking at her!", so he still remains the main subject for me -- he's not really staring into space is he?

Along similar lines to @Phil V post above, I don't think a definition is required as to whether or not it's street photography.

These are the three main questions you could ask yourself about each photo that you post (before you post it):

1. What is the subject (the theme) of this photograph?

2. How can I focus attention on my subject and draw the viewer’s eye to it?

3. Have I simplified? Have I included only what draws attention to my subject, and have I eliminated everything that is non essential or distracting?

From some posts above, I would say the intentions of the photograph have been missed or at least a little confusing to the viewer.

I see what you mean but looking at the full size image I think "why is he not looking at her!", so he still remains the main subject for me -- he's not really staring into space is he?

Or that there are 3 people in the room and they're all wrapped up in their own worlds

I think its a decent shot. There's no certainty that the woman is on the phone, I can't see it in her hand and she could just be wistfully staring out of the window. For me the guy definitely seems troubled, and I am intrigued to know why, and then you have the woman in the far background reading but at first glance it almost looks as if she has fallen asleep. I think there is plenty here to attract the attention, with one character leading on nicely to the next as your eye is drawn into the scene, but it needed to be composed a little better, a better crop maybe. Too much space at the front, I realise you wanted to include the sign, but its not necessary, its obviously a coffee shop and I would have been tempted to have shown more of the window, even if there are blown highlights, sometimes it doesn't matter :)

Last edited:
I've seen a million times less interesting photos passed as street. It certainly has elements to build on and I like wide. I do find looking at it I wish to know more about their worlds

It's very hard to figure out what's going on here. The girl in the foreground could be on the phone, although I can't see the phone, maybe she is leaning on her hand.

The man does look rather strange , as already mentioned maybe troubled. He has his hand to his head, maybe he is reading?

The female in the background looks really odd, she looks asleep, again already mentioned. Is her hair covering her eyes, or is it a scarf covering her eyes?

A little small to tell what's going on in this scene, not helped with me viewing on my phone.

Street photography can be an interesting subject. Getting out on the streets with the camera, getting photos of people going about their daily lives. Or getting photos of street furniture etc.

Can be a bit awkward getting someone's photo, when they would rather you did not.

I like interesting facial expressions - these need not be 'extreme', I either find them interesting or not. My philosophy is that if I personally like a photograph I have taken then I am happy. If someone else likes it too then I am VERY happy !! These are just a couple of random snaps taken in Birminghams Bullring marketsView attachment 38606
View attachment 38607

I think I posted this pic elsewhere but on the topic of what makes a street photo, I think it is any photo taken in public and doesn't necessarily have to have a person/people in it.

This one does and I took it on a train leaving London Bridge Stn of a man totally engrossed in his book.View attachment 38611

View attachment 38616

These two guys in Covent Garden were sitting on the pavement outside a shop and I asked them if I could take their photo. They both looked a little bemused at my request but readily agreed

Last edited:
There seems to be a fashion for taking random pictures of strangers, not sure what to call it or if it even needs a name but for me the best of this style have a strong subject and some sort of narrative.
The OP is just starting out in this style and for me its a decent start and a millions times better than stuff I have seen by some supposed experts

Like the train shot.... theres a man engrossed in his book. I think random shots are fine provided they get the viewer thinking about the shot... and draws the viewers attention to the subject.

I would consider it a form of street photography. Photos are fine.

Keep shooting, develop your own style, and enjoy.

For me, street photography reflects 'some way in which the individual is responding to being in the environment'...
Covers a multitude of factors/opportunities.

I quite like it, the 3 people keep you looking and wondering. Have you considered a square crop, cropping out the sign and space on the lhs.

I totally agree about the square crop.

Some brilliant black and white images posted. Well done people.

Yes it does in my view but the label is irrelevant, I wouldn't worry about whether it's a 'street photo' or not; t's all about catching a moment, and conveying what you saw in that instant to others. If they 'get' what you are saying in the photo, you've succeeded. Just photograph things which interest you and develop your own style and way of working.
I quite like it, the 3 people keep you looking and wondering. Have you considered a square crop, cropping out the sign and space on the lhs.
Assuming the folk in the photo are your interest here, I would go for a square crop too.

Back