Does this work for you?

Name
Jayne
Edit My Images
Yes
First post, so a deep breath taken as it's too early in the day for anything stronger :eek:

As part of a course I'm doing I've been asked for series of landscapes, printed at A4 or A3. I have a number of photos taken the same day, amazing weather conditions and wonderful reflections in the water, I will use a couple of those, but I want to produce something that looks a little different too. I've converted this to greyscale and added a sepia tint, I'm not sure about it! I'm currently miles away from home and can't get hold of anyone for feedback...... any volunteers? View attachment 35653

For me it doesnt work.

The shadows are all blocked up (solid black) and that forms a large chunk of this image.
The reflection has the green from the trees but not the pink from the sky (also looks to have some blown areas (solid white).
The composition isnt great for me, no subject (doesnt always have to be) but my eyes just get drawn to the black shadow area.

Nope, next!

Sorry, lets have another one.
Hope this isn't too harsh for you. Just take another deep breath.

Better, but not outstanding.
There is too much empty space not contributing anything to the shot. Focus is soft. Camera shake?
A tight shot of just the four main trees looks promising, maybe in a portrait crop. To the left and right of them is 'meh'. :)

Steel helmet next time... and maybe some body armour.

Last edited:
The second one is better but is still a bit something and nothing. Try a square crop of the 4 main trees and use the waterline as the centre line to get some symmetry into the reflection. A major (IMO) flaw is that the water isn't dead calm so the reflection isn't perfect. I know it's hard on a river but not impossible. The person in the blue coat is a major distraction as well.

Second one is much better. Can't tell on my iPad if it's sharp or not but given it's so much better than the first I'll leave any non perfect criticisms:)

Back