Does this work in B&W

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
Yes
Experimenting in converting to Black and White, does this work?

Thanks for looking. Jan

1. The colour version
DSCF3364.jpg

2. The black and white version
DSCF3364bw.jpg

To be honest, I prefer the colour version.

Very Christmas-card-y if you know what I mean.

Nice shot.
Daniel.

Darkening the blue (prior to b&w conversion) might give it a punchier look with a deeper sky ?

colour for me too, but ideally re shoot from lower down and separate the lower branches from the horizon.

i think there maybe a time machine in the classifieds

Hi Jan,

I love B & W. What method did you use?

In my workflow I would make the colour more punchy to start with, which will give a much better defined B & W.

Having experimented with so many different B & W I have ended up with the Nik Silver Effex Pro filter, which does everything you could imagine to create a B & W image.

I am sure others will give you their versions as well if you ask!!

Best regards

Chris
ps Are you OK with your pictures being manipulated by others? If so I will see if I have the time later this evening to have a play.

I agree with dinners. If you up the blues in the sky then work it in Silver Efex Pro you'd have something really nice.

Hi Jan,

I love B & W. What method did you use?

In my workflow I would make the colour more punchy to start with, which will give a much better defined B & W.

Having experimented with so many different B & W I have ended up with the Nik Silver Effex Pro filter, which does everything you could imagine to create a B & W image.

I am sure others will give you their versions as well if you ask!!

Best regards

Chris
ps Are you OK with your pictures being manipulated by others? If so I will see if I have the time later this evening to have a play.

Feel free to make your changes, I'm eager to learn.

Jan

I think if it was to work in b&w you need to really darken the sky before as it seems a bit lost at the moment.

Hi Jan,

Managed to fiddle around for a couple of minutes.

A quick tweak of the levels as the image was clipped both highlights and shadows:

Jankmarshalltree1a.jpg

Then into Nik filter Viveza to bring out the sky followed by Nik filter Silver Effex Pro to take it into B & W:

Jankmarshalltree2.jpg

I did not spend too much time, so it is not perfect, but I hope you can see that it is possible to bring so much more out of this great picture.

Best regards

Chris

And this was my slightly less intense version trying to keep the almost ethereal feel of the original a bit. Again done in five mins in PS and Silver EFex Pro.
3954097676_d5caccd955_o.jpg

DSCF3364.jpg

My effort also.

blocky as hell, but that can't be helped at that res.

B&W adjustment later. reds down a touch, blues down to 0%, 2% saturation dark orange tint. Curves, flatten and then save.

Back