Dog, horse and child

Very nice set of shots, watch the backgrounds though. The first two with the dog the BG is a bit cluttered. The three with the girl and horse are delightful.(y)

The first shot is really lovely; if I'm being critical I totally agree with the poster above. If you had more space between the subject and background and then used a larger DOF then you'd get focus from the dogs nose to eyes and still a separation to the background (causing bokeh fun)

Some seem soft. Are you cropping? The dog for instance... for the second... did you go closer, or zoom with the lens? It looks as if you didn't, and just cropped afterwards instead. You lose quality doing that. The more you crop, the softer the image becomes, which may explain why most have a softness about them.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what feedback you are looking for. The third shot of the girl is nice enough, with the foliage framing her well. The rest just look like snapshots because of distracting backgrounds and ill conceived depth of field.

The white fence in the horse and child shot for instance: Was there not an angle that didn't have that so prominent in the shot? Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't, but always look around the whole viewfinder as if you are looking at a print. Remember, once you've frozen that moment in time, every detail is there to be scrutinised unlike in real life when everything is moving constantly.

What do YOU think of them? You happy with them or is there something in particular you would like to improve?

Last edited:
Back