D'oh - accidental pushing

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
I went out with my Yashica-Mat on Thursday. It had a half-used roll of Portra in it, which I proceeded to shoot at 400. I then put a new roll in, and shot 8 frames at 400. I just realised, looking at the box, that they were actually Portra 160 . . .

I dare say they'll come out ok, given Portra's reputation, but should I tell whoever I send it to for processing about my cock-up? And should I finish off the second roll at 400, just for consistency?

Edit: Bugger, sorry, wrong Film + Conventional. Could it be moved, please, mods?

Editedit: Thanks!

Last edited:
Is it for sale Keith?...................:D

I went out with my Yashica-Mat on Thursday. It had a half-used roll of Portra in it, which I proceeded to shoot at 400. I then put a new roll in, and shot 8 frames at 400. I just realised, looking at the box, that they were actually Portra 160 . . .

I dare say they'll come out ok, given Portra's reputation, but should I tell whoever I send it to for processing about my cock-up? And should I finish off the second roll at 400, just for consistency?

Edit: Bugger, sorry, wrong Film + Conventional. Could it be moved, please, mods?

You haven't pushed (pushing is done at the development stage by developing longer), you've simply underexposed the film.

The Portra films have great latitude, but I don't know if the 160 variety handles underexposure quite as well as Portra 400, so you could consider pushing the film.

I've pushed Portra 400 and Fuji 400H in the past with success, but I have no idea how Portra 160 would respond to pushing by the lab. I would consider getting in touch with UK Film Lab to see what they say in this regard. I know they've done a very good job with any of the films I've pushed.

Were you metering for the shadows?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. It was a mix, really. A few of them were metered (using my dSLR's zone metering) for the sky/sea on a bright day, but some were metered for shadows.

I'm not too concerned - there was nothing irreplaceable, or anything, and I'm still learning film so it's all experience for me - but it'd be nice to get something useable from them.

@abdoujaparov I've shot some frames of Portra 160 at 400 and not had a problem with it, thats barely 1.3 stops underexposure anyway which most films would handle quite well without any pushing. I would just expose the rest of the roll normally and see how they come out as I would not expect there to be a problem (Incidentally in the Amateur Photographer review of Portra 160 I remember the reviewer commented that he accidentally shot the first few frames at 400 as he forgot to change the setting on his Leica, but the frames came out fine as he expected).

@abdoujaparov I've shot some frames of Portra 160 at 400 and not had a problem with it, thats barely 1.3 stops underexposure anyway which most films would handle quite well without any pushing. I would just expose the rest of the roll normally and see how they come out as I would not expect there to be a problem (Incidentally in the Amateur Photographer review of Portra 160 I remember the reviewer commented that he accidentally shot the first few frames at 400 as he forgot to change the setting on his Leica, but the frames came out fine as he expected).
Ok, thanks for that. I'll put a note in the envelope to say what happened anyway, just in case they notice.

Thanks both!

You haven't pushed (pushing is done at the development stage by developing longer), you've simply underexposed the film.

I've pushed Portra 400 and Fuji 400H in the past with success, but I have no idea how Portra 160 would respond to pushing by the lab. I would consider getting in touch with UK Film Lab to see what they say in this regard. I know they've done a very good job with any of the films I've pushed.

Were you metering for the shadows?

you havn't pushed them ,you've simply underexposed them :D

Back