Dolly

Edit My Images
Yes
Dolly__by_Daniel_Mackie.jpg

Any comments please?

Sorry, doesn't do a great deal for me.. I like the idea, but the shot is too dark IMO.. Mostly above the girl at the mirror, there's no detail around her legs and above her head.

Like I say, the idea is good, but the execution is a bit off, perhaps a larger aperture, or slower shutter speed, or an increase in the ISO?

I really like it! I don't think its too dark - it sets the mood well IMHO. I like the processing on this.

HMMM. Is it a double exposure and are you trying to convey a sense that the girl has moved on from playing with dolls ?

I wish the image was larger to have a proper look.

It's an interesting photo but as commented on a bit too dark.
I like the REDRUM poster :)

I didnt even notice the girl on the floor, so another vote for too dark here. Like the idea though :)

Hmmm not too dark for me - seems to convey a dark atmosphere - the REDRUM/MURDER sign on the wall adds something snister in line with the lighting.

Its an image that makes me look and think - which in my book is a good thing :)

I also think this one probably needs to be seen printed big to be fully appreciated. Like the colours/mood.

Aside from the exposure issues as pointed out above I can't figure out what you are trying to say with this shot. Is there some 'arty' meaning that has passed me by? The girl bottom left looks like she's looking for somewhere to plug the fan in, but in a dolls house. The girl top right, presumably the same, looks like she's staring into the mirror. I don't understand why or what I'm supposed to be seeing as I can see no link between the two.

Also "redrum"? 3 times grand national winner or some reference to The Shining? Oooh reference to the twins in The Shining? No I still don't get it.

Bigger version.

Right, I should have explained it at the beginning.. It's part of a photo art project I did a few years ago. As someone already pointed out it's a double exposure and they hit it right in the head, as it's showing the movement in time. Growing up.

Another thing, I needed a shot for a band promotion and tried to kill two birds with one stone using this as both. Where as it's dark in parts it was initially a mistake but realised that it had worked in my favour (so I didn't reshoot it) as it made nice placing for text and details.

I think I may be able to find one or two more shots from this set if anyone is interested I'll have a dig around.

Thanks for all the comments, this is a great forum you have hear and I've been looking for something like this for a while now. I hope I have the time to stick around and contribute a little.

Last edited:
Oh and the redrum is not a poster. It's actually a little part of the wall they didn't paint green and had people write on it and sign it, someone just wrote that on there.

I really like this!
I like the fact it is a little dark and grainy - it gives it a mysterious feel!
The large one shows the detail a lot better and its a really clever concept!
(y)

I really like it too but the larger image is over the forum size. Have to link to it. Nicely cross processed :)

Back