Domain name for a new website :)

Name
GF
Edit My Images
No
I am thinking of buying a new domain name. I would prefer a ".com", but ".co.uk" is also good. I want it to look quite professional, but also have some flair. Now that's a challenge!

my current website is here: gfwilliams.co.nr

my ideas so far are something along the lines of:
something short, maybe something like:
gwphoto. xx
gfphoto. xx
gwilliams. xx

or maybe something like:
georgethephotographer. xx
carfreelancephotography. xx

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

George

I'd go for something that relates to you rather than a certain area within photography like 'automotive', as you may well end up papping other subjects as well.

Threads like these are extremely risky. Not only could someone snap up your domain name before you to squat, but all similar ones that you might have chosen as an alternative. That's just my opinion :)

First choice is always yourname.co.uk

Then if that's taken, yourname+photo.co.uk

If that is take

your initial + surname.co.uk

If that is taken your initial + surname + photo.co.uk

less syllables the better

make it as simple as you can to verbally give the url.. over the phone or out on the street.. gwphoto.. how many will type gwfoto ?

If your name is gone as was mine don't forget the hyphon such as george-williams.xx

I do agree make it easy for someone to remember if they have to write it down it's no good!!

Chris Gill

First choice is always yourname.co.uk

I have to disagree here... my surname is 'shephard'.

Not... shepherd, sheppard, shepard, sheperd, or shepperd.

I have to disagree here... my surname is 'shephard'.

Not... shepherd, sheppard, shepard, sheperd, or shepperd.

How exactly can you disagree ??? I am not forcing you to use shepherd, sheppard, shepard, sheperd, or shepperd.....:cautious:

How exactly can you disagree ???

Quite simply, if you have a name that does not have one obvious spelling, then using yourname.co.uk is NOT the best option. As my surname illustrates, there are numerous spellings, of which mine is the least common, so the majority of people would mis-spell. Or you'd have to spell it out to them, which is never a good idea.

Quite simply, if you have a name that does not have one obvious spelling, then using yourname.co.uk is NOT the best option. As my surname illustrates, there are numerous spellings, of which mine is the least common, so the majority of people would mis-spell. Or you'd have to spell it out to them, which is never a good idea.
How have you got around the problem? Will you be using 68lbs as your URL?

I know a couple of pros with surnames that are easily misspelled, so they've gone with more punchy pseudonyms instead.

How have you got around the problem?

I don't have my own domain.

One reason is that I haven't been able to come up with a decent name in the last 10+ years.

There is a lot in fave of registering a 'catchphrase' though. Something catchy. For instance, if I was a pro and had a canine chum that I took on outdoor shoots I would call myself Lee Shephard - The Tog With The Dog and then register a selection of urls...

togwiththedog.com
togwithadog.com

You could do the same with the surname shephard to prevent misspelling, and register all variations, but in a lot of cases at least one won't be available nowadays.

I guess it all boils down to your chosen market.

If you're a commercial photographer there's little point in having anything other than your name as your clients are more likely to think 'Oh, we'll use that Lee Shephard for this job' rather than 'What was that guy's website called? Something about a dog?' and then go with someone they'll remember and whose website they can find.

But at the same time, there's a choice to be made about making sure they can find you if they remember your name, and that's when misspellings and similarities to celebrities, existing companies, products, etc, comes into play.

I suppose in a less-commercial market I guess it's more about being able to pick out someone from the crowd, and a catchy name then starts to make sense. Although sometimes I see these catchphrase sites and they don't really scream 'photography' when you hear the URL spoken or see it written down.

Regardless of the name you decide on, why not ................me.uk as it is a lot cheaper

barrypriddis said:
why not ................me.uk
It's an option, but not necessarily one for business use. Nominet introduced .me.uk as a new second-level domain intended for personal use, although there's certainly nothing stopping you from using it for a business other than the slight lack of a professional 'sheen' that some may wish for.

One other issue is that of recognition. If you're taking a .me.uk because the .com, .co.uk and .net have already gone, there's a high chance searches on your name won't come up very high in the rankings, especially if those other sites are well-used.

Then you've got the confusion aspect. Not an issue if you're going from a link on the web or from printed media, but imagine trying to tell someone you're a '.me.uk'.

Them: 'So, what's your site?'

You: 'Oh, it's www.yourname.me.uk'

Them; 'So that's www.yourname.co.uk?'

You: 'No, .me.uk'

Them: 'That's what I said, .co.uk'

You: 'No, .me.uk, not .co.uk'

Them: 'Can you just email me it?'

Does it have to be your name? Look at some of the member sites on here - take 2 random words, and see what you can come up with :)

http://www.makewords.com/

Where are you from/live? local area names? what do you like taking photos of? etc etc

I picked "etchacan" after Loch Etchacan, up in the Cairngorms, where I do a lot of my mountaineering. And "rallyimages" for all my photos of, well, rally cars :D

Back