Domain names

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I have a site which costs me nothing, and as such has a long URL. What I'm after is a domain name that will forward to my site. Is this possible, and if so can someone give me a site, or the correct term so I can do some googling?

Are you looking for something else for nothing, or are you prepared to pay?

Doesn't your ISP offer you a domain name in their bundle?

I pay £30 per annum to host three privately, but my work ISP does offer domain names as part of the package.

You can buy a domain name for less than £10 a year depending what kind you want, have a look at http://www.ukreg.com/ for ideas. UKReg (not sure about others but I suspect they all do) has a control panel like section where you can set up your new domain to point towards your existing site.

I'll have to have a looki into that, although I'm looking to bin my ISP (BT).

Cheers for the response :)

Are you looking to just get the name pointed to your existing site or a name and site.

I understand that google doesnt like sites in redirects (ie the cheapest way) [maybe one of the seo experts can comment on that?] so it may make a difference if you are looking to be up in the rankings rather than just giving the name to people.

try www.123-reg.co.uk (and a zillion others), you can get a name for a couple of quid/year and that includes the tools to redirect email and web requests to your existing ones. For more money they'll host both the web space and the email service as will your isp.

I'll have to have a looki into that, although I'm looking to bin my ISP (BT).

Cheers for the response :)

BT is my work ISP, and as I work from home I don't need another.

They aren't cheap. When I last looked into it I chose Tiscali for my partner, but they are in big financial trouble at the moment.

There were better options, but not available in this area. Some of the best deals are pretty limited geographically so a bit of a postcode lottery.

I understand that google doesnt like sites in redirects (ie the cheapest way) [maybe one of the seo experts can comment on that?] so it may make a difference if you are looking to be up in the rankings rather than just giving the name to people.

that was my understanding too, but I have one site on redirect that always does very well in google.

It may be because the redirect is to google pages, but I think more likely it is the number of links to the site from other sites that helps with rankings.

Any of the larger registrars will have a control panel which will allow you to manage your domain name and point it to where ever your site is hosted.
You can get .uk domains from about £6 for 2 years and .com domains from about £7 per yer, though the prices and what options you get will depend on who you use.

123-reg.co.uk
heartinternet.co.uk
ukreg.co.uk
domainmonster.com

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a pm as my day job is Web Hosting / Domain Registration.

Andy

There are two common ways to redirect a domain name, Google likes one but not the other. Unfortunately by default most registrars will only offer the one that Google dose not like as part of their free tools/options.

I'm not fussed about Google results, more so it's something a bit easier to remember for people when I tell them. And also shorter to write down :LOL:

I'm not fussed about Google results, more so it's something a bit easier to remember for people when I tell them. And also shorter to write down :LOL:

That's why I registered one of mine, it was mainly to give me a personal email address independent of where I went to find an ISP.

It means the email address is mine for life, regardless of job or ISP.

There are two common ways to redirect a domain name, Google likes one but not the other. Unfortunately by default most registrars will only offer the one that Google dose not like as part of their free tools/options.

Don't tease...

Lots seem to use a frame. But I suppose you could use a cname as well couldn't you?

www.ovh.co.uk are giving away .co.uk FREE for the first year, NO strings attached.

Free redirects such as welcome.to/ and go.to/ used to be popular. They plonk an advertising banner frame on the landing page, which is easy enough to escape for the rest of the site.

http://www.go.to/

tsohost.co.uk are my choice... I have 4 domains & hosting packages with them

GREAT service.

For free hosting www.freewebs.com is good. If you log into your account regularly all you get in the way of advertising is a thin blue banner at the bottom advertising freewebs.com. If you don't log in for a month, they start adding extra adverts.

One of mine is here: http://www.steve-smith.org.uk

EDIT Actually, they are just called webs.com now (although the link above still works).

Steve.

Back