Don McCullin – Exhibition at Tate Britain

I shall be going to see this exhibition. Being old, it is going to cost me £15.00 plus the train fare both ways to London, but it should be worth it.

I think this is one of the most important exhibitions of our time and as such there should be opportunities for everyone to see this. £18 is a lot, I don't begrudge them charging it, but there should be decent concessions or even free times to allow everyone a chance to see it. I think some things really go beyond just being an art exhibition.

At £76, it's well worth buying a Tate membership if you can get into London a few times a year. Gets you into the members lounge and a discount at the shops too.

I was looking into going in a few weeks time when I have some time off work, but there's no cheap train tickets left from Newcastle at that time - so I'm going to Edinburgh for £30 return instead. Obviously that won't involve seeing McCullin.

I hope to get down to London to see this at some point.

Hopefully take in the Diane Arbus exhibition at the Hayward gallery too.

Both finish on 6th May I believe?

https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/don-mccullin

Likely to be an exceptional exhibition. I know £18 is probably what more than some of our forum members would pay for a Hasselblad at a boot sale, but he is probably the defining war photographer of his generation.

I think calling McCullin the defining war photographer of his generation is unfair to all the other arguably better photographers of that era. If you want to examine the spectacle of war you should look at the likes of Larry Burrows or if you want look at the impact of war on both the participants and innocent bystanders you should look at Philip Jones Griffiths.

Are they all his war photographs?
From the link in freecom's post
This exhibition showcases some of the most impactful photographs captured over the last 60 years. It includes many of his iconic war photographs – including images from Vietnam, Northern Ireland and more recently Syria. But it also focuses on the work he did at home in England, recording scenes of poverty and working class life in London’s East End and the industrial north, as well as meditative landscapes of his beloved Somerset, where he lives.

I went today to see it and was blown away, some really shocking stuff, really worth every penny! also went to the Diane Arbus one but after Don McCullin it was very meh.

I think calling McCullin the defining war photographer of his generation is unfair to all the other arguably better photographers of that era. If you want to examine the spectacle of war you should look at the likes of Larry Burrows or if you want look at the impact of war on both the participants and innocent bystanders you should look at Philip Jones Griffiths.

I don't think you can really compare or say one is a better photographer, I find Don's work a lot darker and I'm not talking about his processing, he has seen some really nasty stuff not to say they both haven't but Burrows is 90% one subject.

Going into London tomorrow, may have a look, but went to one his back at the Barbican years ago, he had the Nikon that took that bullet on show then....is that at the exhibition as well?

Going into London tomorrow, may have a look, but went to one his back at the Barbican years ago, he had the Nikon that took that bullet on show then....is that at the exhibition as well?

Nope I didn't see it, it was quite busy (2pm) there were some magazines etc in display cases it might have been there but I didn't see it. Also book a ticket in advance as at 1pm they were booking for 4pm.

Last edited:
Back