Don McCullin - Looking for England (BBC4 4 Feb 21:00)

Should have asked him his service number ;) , mine is burned into my memory (all those pay parades) as also is the year I was called up and the fact that my nice holiday East Africa was cancelled in 1956 thanks to Anthony Eden’s Suez adventure :mad:. On the other hand perhaps he really was a Group Captain and was a bit clueless ;).

Well I had my call up deferred until the end of my apprenticeship by then it had been abandoned.

Well I had my call up deferred until the end of my apprenticeship by then it had been abandoned.
Yes, and if you had still been called up you might have got useful experience in your chosen line of work ;).

Having trouble parsing this, Brian. You seem to be saying you were a physically unfit bank robber, who didn't know how to use a gun? :D

:D just an amusing answer to Richard's in # 42.....it reminded me of sending young thugs to boot camps to be drilled by an army instructor and they would come out back on the streets as physically fit young thugs. o_O

:D just an amusing answer to Richard's in # 42.....it reminded me of sending young thugs to boot camps to be drilled by an army instructor and they would come out back on the streets as physically fit young thugs. o_O
Getting somewhat off the point, but what I would like to see is conscription brought back but for women only :D

Getting somewhat off the point, but what I would like to see is conscription brought back but for women only :D

Today if conscription was bought back and with PC, equality etc etc why would only men be called up...women got away with it in the past and that included wars.

I've only watched the first quarter of the McCullin so far, but I was surprised to see him printing his images without gloves on. Maybe it was only at the washing stage?

Finished it last night, What was the seriously ugly huge MF camera he was using in the last section (Scarborough?)? Looked like it might have a rangefinder on top, or possibly a viewfinder for the tiny lens...

23250788 Corporal Elgar P.J Royal Army Medical Corps --- " Pay Parade--- Pay Parade SHUN !!!! Salute the Officer, Say Last 3 of your Number,take your Pay in LEFT Hand, one step Back, Salute, Turn RIGHT and March Off Smartly " ------

you missed, open pay packet and exclaim to all "is that it?"

Back