Dongle usage and cost

EE 4G dongle is perfect at Newcastle, Sunderland, Boro and Pools for me.

Can get images out quickly at Sudnerland when it was always a pain before

You can tether to phone yeah, aslong as you have enough in your data plan to allow

With most mobiles yes

I was probably on a cape tariff but racked up mega pounds uploading images to Flicr and viewing images on here two years ago. I'm in a similar boat where I may need mobile broadband for 12 months so interested in this thread.

How much data do you need per month.

I have no idea I don't even understand usage. I just upload pictures to Flicr, watch videos on a You Tube and listen to
Music. I have unlimited at home.

Usage is like a utility bill. If you leave more lights on you use more than if you only have one on.

Some items like an iron or kettle use more than a light. YouTube and music are like the iron and kettle.

usage ..also known as bandwidth then as data usage..

I have 1 gig of usage a month.. thats 1024 mb

If I look at a web page and all it's contents.. text, pictures etc add up to one meg.. that means I could look at it 1,024 times and then run out of usage

If I look at a video.. that could be two meg in size... I only get to look at 512 of them a month

If you download a DVD you could use all your bandwidth in one go and still not have enough to download the dvd

Streaming films or TV is also gonna eat it al up in very quick time..

So when using limited usage/bandwidth you need to look into what mb your content is...

WARNING
Most companies lie when they offer ulimited.. Just last week the missus came home wiht a leaflet from the post office offering line rental and internet.. leaflet says unlimited bandwith then says fair usage applies.. this means if you use too much it cuts you off... which means unlimited is a joke..

haha

4G also benefits from faster upload speeds than most ADSL services, as Barry Collins discovered when he found it quicker to take a train into a 4G zone than upload 1GB over a creaky ADSL connection.

15gig a month not enugh for me... films and telly series download would eat that up in no time..we have one of those media boxes..

I got rid of Sky movies and sports and now have NetFlix, so that wouldn't be enough for me either and probably not enough for Blank_Canvas either.

But it would be more than enough for the majority of people who don't stream movies or music.

I assume the reasons most want or use a dongle in this thread is for when travelling but for anyone needing an internet connection from say a vehicle (when stationary) then I have found a Wi-Fi antenna to be a much better option.

I get broadband, via the FON network, literally everywhere (even really remote parts of Cornwall). Also, as a BT customer at home, I get this service FOC without data caps.

I use mine in my camper van and initially bought a 3g set-up but only ever use the Wi-Fi now.

How does that all work then with the FON network?

How does that all work then with the FON network?

I bought this antenna:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-3...osters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item19e9a3ca61
which just plugs into a USB port.

As a BT customer I opted into FON and when I want broadband I stick the antenna to the side of my van, search for signals and connect. I then have to sign in on my browser and have broadband.

I've had a choice of connections everywhere I've been so far (usually remote beeches).

More details here if your interested:
http://myselfbuildcamper.co.uk/internet-access-motorhome/

WOW very interesting

Back