Donington F1 Masters Festival April 2022

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
I’ve got this very car my Uncle gave me when I was a kid. Made by corgi :)

Fantastic set of photos :cool:
As I started reading I thought you had the actual car for a second :LOL: Thanks.
Must have been an awesome experience, great shots. (y)
Thanks. It’s always a great experience tbh, they were properly going for it as well yesterday :cool:

This was the first time I’ve been in the pit straight grand stand for the F1 cars and with the reverberations from the stand I could only tolerate 3 laps before I had to move to the front of the stand, genuinely thought my eardrums were going to burst :eek: (usually stand track side which isn’t too bad)

If it was the screaming V10’s I think your head would explode in that stand :LOL:

A great set, the JPS Lotus, mmm, (y)

A great set, the JPS Lotus, mmm, (y)
Thanks. It is an iconic car, part of me thinks they should wear the yellow helmet when driving it but then part of me’s glad they don’t (y)

Very nice set of some stunning machinery. I was tempted by this meeting but since I’ll be at British GT all weekend decided against it. Really like 1 and 9, I’m guessing you use an ND filter to allow you to shoot shutter speeds like that with the aperture wide open?

Very nice set of some stunning machinery. I was tempted by this meeting but since I’ll be at British GT all weekend decided against it. Really like 1 and 9, I’m guessing you use an ND filter to allow you to shoot shutter speeds like that with the aperture wide open?
Thanks. 1&9 are actually are a bit fake, as in I’ve enhanced the motion blur in photoshop. The rest of the panning shots are real, as in that’s how they were out of camera and yes I use ND filters to allow shutter speeds of 1/50, 1/25 etc.

The reason I sometimes use photoshop in shots like 1&9 is that had I used a shutter speed of say 1/25 only part of the car would be sharp due to the 3/4 angle, and sometimes I want the whole car to be sharp (y) I do sometimes shoot it ‘natural’ and the partial blur adds to some of the dynamism, it just depends how I feel ;)

Great set. The Lotus in that classic body shape (49?) is is my favourite ever racing car. How did you manage to get inside the ropes?

Great set. The Lotus in that classic body shape (49?) is is my favourite ever racing car. How did you manage to get inside the ropes?
I believe it's the Lotus 91. I'm not sure what you mean by "inside the ropes"?

Really good stuff. Those Lotuses really look great in the sunshine. Overall a good varied set from the meeting, you’ve done really well. I was surprised how few people were there over the weekend considering the weather and the cars

Cool set, 1+9 for me. (y)
Thanks.
Really good stuff. Those Lotuses really look great in the sunshine. Overall a good varied set from the meeting, you’ve done really well. I was surprised how few people were there over the weekend considering the weather and the cars
Thanks, it's never a busy event which always surprises me. I'm going to the Historic Festival in a couple of weeks too and expect that to be equally quiet. I'm pretty gutted the GT40's aren't racing on the Sunday though, I pre-booked my ticket for the Sunday ages ago and was really looking forward to the GT40's so I'm gutted to find out they're only racing on Saturday :(

Last edited:
Inside the fences would be a better term for motor racing. Perhaps they were taken from outside the fences.
Ahh right, yes all outside the fences unfortunately.

Back