Donington Park

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Spectator side shooting information for Donington Park is few and far between. Maybe that should tell me something? :LOL:

I am thinking about having a run down to may be the BTCC and GT events this year. Is there spectator access at Coppice and McLeans these days? I'm guessing you'll be in long lens territory, but I can get out to 840mm FF equivalent without cropping so that might be enough. I know the likes of @MattyW, @Paul Allen2, @minnnt and others have shot there before, so any information would be most appreciated. On the Donington Park website, it refers to a blue ticket zone up at Coppice, but I can't find anything else on the site about what a 'blue ticket' is, so again any advice from those who've been there recently would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon.

Hi srhmoto,

I would recommend standing near on the inside of "goddards" and "the esses" (if they are not using the "melbourne hairpin") you can great some really good photos at short to med range, as they are coming down the straight and slowing towards the corner.

For longer shots goto the inside of "redgate" and the outside of "craner curves" the fencing can be a pain here but standing on the hill or stone boxes give a good view, these can be popular depending on event being held.

Regards Tom.

donington.gif

I've not come across the Blue Ticket zones when I have been before. It's usually a catch fencing pain in most places at Donny.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/antiatlas/albums/72157667944507965 was my set from the last time I visited there. I think the infield had just opened up a little more, but this was back a couple of years ago now, so I don't know quite whats changed.
I think the GT uses the Melbourne Loop which throws up a couple more options compositionally. The Foggy Esses is quite a nice angle with a not too severe fence, and there's that shot looking up from the hairpin with a plane taking off which gets done quite a lot.
I quite like the shot from between McLeans and Coppice, which throws in a little bit of the background as well
≤^¨¨©ƒø¨ƒø∫ by Matty, on Flickr
I've never needed more than 400mm on FF there really from Spectator side as I recall, but a bit of extra reach might open up some more options, especially as you have good technique and an eye for compositions mate

I'd assume the blue ticket zone refers to the disabled parking section between Coppice and McLeans. I was there a few times last year and you can still get around the entire track on the outside. The track has now been taken over by new owners and there's ongoing work atm so not sure how things might change for this year. New sections of the infield have also become available over the last couple of years.

Gary

Lots of Fencing at Donington, some clear spots on the infield, you should be fine if you can get to 400mm. MSV have taken over the running of the track, and improvements are taking place over the winter, so a few things may change, including new toilets, I would suggest a visit to the Historic Festival as thats a good event.

I'd assume the blue ticket zone refers to the disabled parking section between Coppice and McLeans. I was there a few times last year and you can still get around the entire track on the outside. The track has now been taken over by new owners and there's ongoing work atm so not sure how things might change for this year. New sections of the infield have also become available over the last couple of years.

Gary
If you walk around the outside, once you get to Coppice, you have to turn back, as you cannot view Starkeys Straight from the outside.

The place has changed a bit over the last few years. They have stopped selling tickets for the big events at gate 20 which is a pita. You have to go to the main entrance which is obviously at one end of the circuit. I always head towards McLeans for my early morning shots and it's a helluva walk to get there from the main entrance.
I can't remember if it was WSB or BSB last year but the gate was closed on the Friday at the auction house which makes it impossible to walk around the full circuit. A right pain when you walk the full length of Starkeys to have to turn back and go the other way.

Gary

Spectator side shooting information for Donington Park is few and far between. Maybe that should tell me something? :LOL:

I am thinking about having a run down to may be the BTCC and GT events this year. Is there spectator access at Coppice and McLeans these days? I'm guessing you'll be in long lens territory, but I can get out to 840mm FF equivalent without cropping so that might be enough. I know the likes of @MattyW, @Paul Allen2, @minnnt and others have shot there before, so any information would be most appreciated. On the Donington Park website, it refers to a blue ticket zone up at Coppice, but I can't find anything else on the site about what a 'blue ticket' is, so again any advice from those who've been there recently would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon.
Save yourself some frustration and head to Oulton Park instead.

Gary

Save yourself some frustration and head to Oulton Park instead.

Gary

There is that. I love Oulton Park.

Last time I went to Donington, they had opened up virtually all of the infield and the access was pretty good. Personally, I either take a long lens and get close to the catch fencing with a wide aperture. The other trick I use is to take a small collapsible plastic step and use that to shoot above the fenceline.

I think MSV taking over the circuit can only be a good thing. Jonathan Palmer's company have really done a great job at Brands and Oulton Park - it's a real shame they weren't able to take over SIlverstone too. I hate that place - particularly the goons who they employ as security guards. I was told by one such goon that I couldn't stand in the infield and take photos a good 500m from the track for "safety reasons" as I was stood near a grandstand(?!?).

The other trick I use is to take a small collapsible plastic step and use that to shoot above the fenceline.

I've given up on those. I was standing on a set of those at the Esses at Donny a couple of years ago when it collapsed. Myself + 500mm lens went flying. Luckily didn't hit the deck but couldn't bring myself to look behind me and see how many people were howling with laughter! I now have a nice 2 step metal set that I keep in the car in case I'm going to need them.

Gary

I've given up on those. I was standing on a set of those at the Esses at Donny a couple of years ago when it collapsed. Myself + 500mm lens went flying. Luckily didn't hit the deck but couldn't bring myself to look behind me and see how many people were howling with laughter! I now have a nice 2 step metal set that I keep in the car in case I'm going to need them.

Gary

Mine seems really solid - it's one of these:

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...3338/d037dfe7-bb58-428c-8b5e-55586ee7bca2.jpg

I have a metal ladder too, but I found it was just too heavy to lug around. Also, the security goons at silverstone didn't seem to care about the plastic step, but they more or less got a helicopter gunship out when they saw a two step metal ladder.

Donington is having quite a bit of work done just now with possibly even more fencing.

If you can spare the time go for a wander around the track to check it out (track days & media days are normally free)

Back