Donington Park

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Morning all.

I’m heading down to Donington Park for the BTCC qualifying tomorrow (Saturday). The last time I visited the circuit, John Clelland was peddling a Super Tourer around the place, so it’s been a while LOL. What’s it like for photography these days from the public viewing areas? Best / worst places?

Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon.

I don't think it's as bad as it has been made out to be. Infield from Redgate all the way up to Coppice offer pretty much fence free views, certainly inside the craners is a nice place for panning. You can shoot from the outside of the craners through a number of small gaps in the fence for access. Outside of coppice and outside of Mcleans are easy enough for elevation change head on front 3/4 shots. There's an array of wider angles and more creative compositions on offer there as well, if you're thinking outside the box.

I don't think it's as bad as it has been made out to be. Infield from Redgate all the way up to Coppice offer pretty much fence free views, certainly inside the craners is a nice place for panning. You can shoot from the outside of the craners through a number of small gaps in the fence for access. Outside of coppice and outside of Mcleans are easy enough for elevation change head on front 3/4 shots. There's an array of wider angles and more creative compositions on offer there as well, if you're thinking outside the box.

Thanks Matty that’s great. I’ll have my 10 year old son with me who’s determined he’s going to be taking pictures, so I thought it best to check the lie of the ground

Thanks Matty that’s great. I’ll have my 10 year old son with me who’s determined he’s going to be taking pictures, so I thought it best to check the lie of the ground
Jonny, Mark and Rich (@Fireproof Creative | @MFlip | @RichardC27 ) have done some some awesome work there over the past couple of years or so, so it's worth checking their old threads from Donny for some inspiration in the motorsport section

As Matty says, inside of Redgate all the way to the inside of MacLeans and Coppice is fence free, although you're quite limited in the type of shot you can get from that side of the circuits, it's almost all panning shots only.

On the outside, you're close enough to the fence at Redgate and through Hollywood at the top of Craner Curves to shoot through the fence, as shown below.

Masters Historic Racing Donington Park by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

There is a gap in the fence at a marshals post, which gives a nice back of the car shot.

Bottom of the hill at the Old Hairpin is possible through the fence too, or take a walk up the hill for a nice wide shot.

At MacLeans you can get really close to the fence so no issues here, it's easy to get great shots through the fence.

At Coppice it's possible to shoot through the fence too, and the backdrop is really nice

And finally, there's a fence free spot at the chicane for a nice panning shot on the National circuit, you can also get a nice back of the car shot onto the start/finish straight from here

Last edited:
As Matty says, inside of Redgate all the way to the inside of MacLeans and Coppice is fence free, although you're quite limited in the type of shot you can get from that side of the circuits, it's almost all panning shots only.

On the outside, you're close enough to the fence at Redgate and through Hollywood at the top of Craner Curves to shoot through the fence, as shown below.

There is a gap in the fence at a marshals post, which gives a nice back of the car shot.

Bottom of the hill at the Old Hairpin is possible through the fence too, or take a walk up the hill for a nice wide shot.

At MacLeans you can get really close to the fence so no issues here, it's easy to get great shots through the fence.

At Coppice it's possible to shoot through the fence too, and the backdrop is really nice

And finally, there's a fence free spot at the chicane for a nice panning shot on the National circuit, you can also get a nice back of the car shot onto the start/finish straight from here
Fantastic Richard! Thank you very much for taking the time to post this. Very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon.

Back