Donna Nook

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a place I have wanted to go for a long time and an opportunity to go this morning for an hour or so arose so I could not miss that chance, alarm set for 6am but I was awake by 5 as never sleep well in hotels so set of earlier than planned from Sheffield and was at Donna Nook by 7:30, along the way the sky was amazing and it looked like it would be a great sunrise and perfect for photos but upon arrival it was pea soup fog :(

It's very spooky when you arrive especially if foggy as you can hear noises that resemble babies crying and shouts of mum mum mum which turns out is the sounds seal pups make when very young, the wardens were on site to direct you and give information and do a great job, they said more he been born overnight and were fairly close to the walkway as yesterday they were a long way out?

Anyway to cut the long story short, I the fog did eventually lift and had a short time of brightness before the rain arrived and I had to head back to Sheffield, below are some of the images I took, not the best but I'm happy for a first attempt in the conditions there and now I know what to expect I will be prepared next time and will be. A pleasure trip when I come back so will bring all my kit.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5730/22456647077_fdfaf354f2_z_d.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/718/22456673758_c7c711bec2_z_d.jpg

Love the 1st Adam, great low view :)

I agree with Gramps, 1st..and for me also 2nd. The B&W conversions really work! Will have to tell my dad to get out there (I'm from Sheffield but don't live there anymore) as he's into wildlife photography too!

Love the 1st Adam, great low view :)

Thanks Roger there is a fence for their safety (and ours probably as they would fiercely protect the young) so the ones that look low are actually 20m+? On banks which help give the look of eye level :)

Thanks Roger there is a fence for their safety (and ours probably as they would fiercely protect the young) so the ones that look low are actually 20m+? On banks which help give the look of eye level :)

Lesson 2: Never give away the secrets that make you look good! :D

I agree with Gramps, 1st..and for me also 2nd. The B&W conversions really work! Will have to tell my dad to get out there (I'm from Sheffield but don't live there anymore) as he's into wildlife photography too!
If he has never been he really should! It's amazing place

Looks like you had a good visit Adam, love the pups :)

wow the first one is the stand out for me but enjoyed looking at all of them

Thanks Roger looking back was a good visit didn't feel I did that well when I was there as was very short but memories will certainly last, its another of natures great events. Not done bad in past 4 weeks seen the starlings in massive numbers at hamwall just before they spread out ? and now the seals just hope I can get back before December when they leave (not sure exactly when)

Last edited:
Lovely images. I love the last one as the seal look like he/she is in absolute heaven!!

Lovely images. I love the last one as the seal look like he/she is in absolute heaven!!
Thanks Andy and yes pig in s*** spring to mind when I seen it and it really made me chuckle seeing the head dried so looked like a funny haircut :)

Back