don't know what it is !!!(how to stop it )

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
hi went out today with new lens minolta 17-35 2.8 f4
was a bit disappointed with results really!!! but i bet it was me and not the lens (Lol) came across this although the sun had gone down ,i was getting set up to do some light trails !!! i had it all right in my head but whilst waiting for the right time i shot this how is this possible if sun had gone down ?:thinking:
also how can i improve the sky in number 2

DSC06725.jpg

DSC06752.jpg

thank you :thinking:

The first one just looks like typical lens flare, the camera will still get this even without a direct light source.
Second one looks nice, though you'd need a pretty strong grad filter to keep the exposure balanced.

Trying to figure out why the red trail only starts just prior to the bend and then carries on :thinking:
Good shot though and you've caught a couple of ufos' too :D

Trying to figure out why the red trail only starts just prior to the bend and then carries on :thinking:
Good shot though and you've caught a couple of ufos' too :D

Maybe the car had just left the car park which is out of shot on the left, about 200 yds back, and just turned his lights on?

I know that place from flying my models and riding up there; it's Nont Sarahs Hill on the A640 :D

well your right about the location (y),but the reason car rear lights start so late is i forgot i had timer on (lol):bang:

A simpler explanation, maybe the car was at that point when the exposure started?

As for the thingy under the arrows, it's lensflare. Point many lenses at a bright thing and you'll get it to varying degrees. On digital cameras, "Digital" lenses with coated rear lenses are less prone to it, as they don't suffer as much internal reflection from the sensor as older lenses do. Film was not as reflective as our glass-fronted sensors, which is why the old film lenses tend to be some of the worse culprits as there wasn't a need to combat it.

will filters stop this lens flare or im i wasting my time i just spent £160 on this minolta 17-35mm 2.8-4 d lens and im not happy:bang: although i know its not a bad lens should i get a filter any ideas on make ? or price ?
thanks

You've just bought the lens so maybe give it a more of a chance before you condemn it?? I've had quite a few failures as I get used to my new Nikon :)

As a general rule, filters make flare worse, as they present more glass surfaces for light to randomly bounce around on.
You only really see flare with bright or large light sources in the shot, so it might not present as much of a problem as you think, depending on your typical use.

Back