don't laugh, I know its not a lot of money (relatively)

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
I have approx £200 in my wallet from a combination of birthday, the left overs from a kitty at a wedding I was at on Friday and my little girls banky.

as a newbie with a D60, kit lens, 35mm prime, tripod, filters, gucci bag, speed gun, little bellow for blowing dust away and a spare battery should I

buy a tamron 70-300 lens F4/5.6 Di LD
buy a sigma 70-300 lens F4/5.6 APO
buy a tamron 18-200 lens F3.5/6.3 XR
upgrade my PC(keep the shell etc and upgrade processor etc) used mostly for storage as its so slow
go on a photography course
give it to my wife
give it to your wife/husband/dog/gerbil

been taking photos for about 6 months really enjoying it, mostly portrait type of my family but always feel with the kit lens that I could be doing with abit more length.

any thoughts on the above appreciated.

Russ

Nikon 55-200 VR might be worth considering, you'd have a bit of cash left over to give to the wife too :thinking: :nono: :LOL:

thanks, at the moment I'm heading towards the tamron 70-300 but only because of the price and macro function I haven't tried any of the lenses out (I've had a shot of the nikkor 55-200) but looking for a lens that maybe offers a bit more in terms of length,

I guess its the same as most things you get what you pay for, just worried about spending £200 on a piece of kit that I could (if I had the money) spend 4 time as much on.

The Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO DG Macro is a cracker - you'd get a good lump of change from your £200 as well, and has the same sort of "macro" function as the Tamron (ie - not "real" macro, but close focus capabilities at the longer focal end). I used to use the Sigma for my speedway stuff prior to taking a deep breath and investing in the 70-200, and I loved it. In fact, I was using at again last weekend at Pensthorpe nature reserve and discovered that I STILL love it!

I have approx £200 in my wallet...should I

buy a tamron 70-300 lens F4/5.6 Di LD
buy a sigma 70-300 lens F4/5.6 APO
buy a tamron 18-200 lens F3.5/6.3 XR
upgrade my PC(keep the shell etc and upgrade processor etc) used mostly for storage as its so slow
go on a photography course
give it to my wife
give it to your wife/husband/dog/gerbil

That's an easy decision - it'll give you one in the bag, so she won't complain at a future (and potentially vastly more expensive) purchase :)

Siggy's great value for money, I use mine a lot.

Andy

I've got the Canon fit Tamron. The macro is only 1:2 so not a proper macro.

AF is a bit slow.

Personally if I had the choice again and didn't want the macro I think the Sigma would be better.

Yeah AF is slow but I use manual focus on the tamron as it is better than the AF! 1:2 still gives some decent pictures and for the price you can't go wrong. Obviously it isn't as good as more expensive lenses but if you can / want to fork out more then you can - I didn't and I am happy :D

thanks for the responses, tried the tamron and the 55-200 Nikon today and went for.....................the nikon. my filters will fit this without having to fork out more dough and the 70-300 seemed to dwarf my ickle camera, I'll keep plugging away and see how i get on

nice choice, and new toys are always good :)

Heard many good things about the Nikon! I was going to recommend the Tamron 18-200mm. Such a fantastic practical lens! It's a lot better in telephoto than wide angle though but I guess that's to be expected.

Another vote for the Sigma (y) It's also available with in-built motor for Nikons now...

Back