Don't point that camera at me...

What have you done to it? It looks to me that the colour is to blue. It's a shame he has hidden his other hand inside his coat :) otherwise I like this photo.

Very cute pic... only crit would be the crop on it...shave a bit off the bottom for me and you're on to a winner. It is a tad cool, might try warming it up a tidge. :)

I find the shadows in your shot extremely magenta
I have corrected this with colour curves to look oK on my screen

Last edited:
I find the shadows in your shot extremely magenta
I have corrected this with colour curves to look oK on my screen

That now looks green on my screen.

Personally I like the processing of the first picture. The colour grading makes it look like something other than a snap.

I calibrated my screen two days ago with mu Huey pro so I do not think it can be that far out.

The original is measuring the shadow and damp road as strongly magenta and the dry areas a slightly green.
My version has the dark areas as near near neutral tending to green and in places tending to orange. in the light areas it is again mostly desaturated tending to a variety of colours.

As the curves seem to be crossed it is a matter of judgement where you settle.

I calibrated my screen two days ago with mu Huey pro so I do not think it can be that far out.

Don't get me wrong, i am not saying you screen isn't calibrated. I just thought it was interesting that your edit came out very similar to the original shot. I guess I need to look into post processing a bit more, regarding editing to end up with a particular pp style in a shot. If that makes sense...

Not particularly sure what type of effect I was going for really...

I have done another version with a minutely different balance to the curves that might seem slightly less green in some areas

Don't get me wrong, i am not saying you screen isn't calibrated. I just thought it was interesting that your edit came out very similar to the original shot. I guess I need to look into post processing a bit more, regarding editing to end up with a particular pp style in a shot. If that makes sense...

Not particularly sure what type of effect I was going for really...

There is nothing that we can say is "correct" when it comes to colour perception. In film days most people (what ever that means) preferred their colours on the warm side and even used warm up filters to achieve that. However few people like strong casts of any colour.

Things like asphalt paths and roads can be about any tint but influence the look of the picture. I usually set them as near neutral as possible.

Last edited:
I think there may be a cross-purpose in this thread. I read the OP as saying 'I processed the colours using curves, what do you think to the colour shifts' and then Terry's reply as 'I reprocessed it to look natural again' which would be silly if the OP had been trying to colour grade the image.

Apologies if that wasn't what was being asked by the OP.

I think there may be a cross-purpose in this thread. I read the OP as saying 'I processed the colours using curves, what do you think to the colour shifts' and then Terry's reply as 'I reprocessed it to look natural again' which would be silly if the OP had been trying to colour grade the image.

Apologies if that wasn't what was being asked by the OP.

Hi Charlotte, I think there was a bit of crossed wires but after a bit of conversation between terry, I get that pushing the curves too much can put people off an image. Rather than going all out on the curves, minor changes to each colour might be the best option going forward.

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the original and the edits posted by terry.

I must say I had not even thought about this as an example of an "Art" shot But more as a family style portrait.

However I like the shapes made by the off centre positioning. The position of the face actually works well as it is in tension with the Chewing gum? splodge bottom right.
The "Missing hand " is interesting and also causes the eye to travel up and down in the same diagonal.

I put such shots in the same category as found objects. In that there is far more to them than might be thought at first glance. Had they been set up intentionally they would likely fail. The Eye sees far more than we think about consciously, and the decision "When" "how" or "What" to shoot is often not so much chance as instinctual.

Back